Disabling the Thermostat

I am having a thermostat war. If I open the old standard bumpy-wheel round thermostat and disconnect a wire, is it turned off?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

If by turned off, you mean disabled, yes. (for two wire systems and no alternate "call for heat" connections.) Technically the thermostat can still be turned on or off, it just won't call for heat.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

better and easier to install a hidden switch somewhere along the line....

dont forget if the weather turns freezing

Reply to
hallerb

This will just cause your enemy ( a roommate who dosen't pay bills I would guess) to go out and purchase a 1500W Electric space heater and operate that all day where you can't get to it. (this still may be cheaper than heating the whole house)

Reply to
PipeDown