disabling one lawn sprinkler??

Hello,

A friend had a sprinkler system installed a few years back and it works fine. BUT, one section receives less sun and is severely overwatered. We'd like to disable that one sprinkler head which happens to be at the end of the yard. The company that installed it is long gone and there is no diagram of the layout.

Is it possible (as a neighbor told us) to cap the nozzle with a screw-on type fitting? If not, what are the alternatives (other than an inverted bucket over the head)?

The system is a Rainbird 1800. Any advice appreciated.

...Bob

Reply to
BobMcC814

You can move and expand these systems, and they're not really touchy the way that HVAC would be, so I would assume yes. Another idea would be a low-flow washer such as for shower heads.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

A quick look at Rainbird's website, And it seems the 1800 series came with only three types of nozzles.. Plastic MPR Nozzles, VAN Series Nozzles, and U-Series Nozzles... (

) All which seem to have a stainless steel screw ( according to associated PDF manuals ) in the middle of the nozzle that adjusts flow and radius...

I hate to be the one to say it, but have these screws been cranked down to slow or completely stop the flow rate from the nozzle??

Check out the link above and try to identify exactly what kind of nozzle you are dealing with and repost... At that point a professional or homeowner with personal knowledge of the exact system/nozzle may be able to offer a remedy.

Grim

Reply to
Grim

To answer your specific question, yes you can plug it up and shut it off by installing a screw in fitting. You just need to know the size of the supply pipe.

--James-

Reply to
James Nipper

Just unscrew the sprinkler head and screw on a cap. It will probably

1/2".

Don

Reply to
Don

The nozzle can be changed or adjusted to produce less spray, or just take off the head and cap the pipe. Putting on a head that gives less water would be preferable, probably. If you change the head on one sprinkler, the rest of the zone might need adjustment.

Reply to
NorMinn

Capping it off is certainly an easy way to do it, but if you're in a freezing climate and need to blow the system out each fall, you'll have to uncap that head during the blow-out. Otherwise water will fill that section of pipe, freeze, and crack the pvc.

Bobby

Reply to
Drummer of The Vibe

The systems I have seen have trunk lines, with a branch line to each head, so a diagram of the system is probably not necessary.

The simplest option would be to adjust that head to allow less volume.

If that doesn't work, you could remove the head. I think the best way to do that would be to dig a hole around the head, being careful not to damage the line, about six or eight inches below the head. Once you have everything cleaned up, you will see that the head is screwed into a fixture, which is then probably slip mounted onto the line, often without even a clamp. I would remove the head and fixture, and replace them with a drain valve (available from an irrigation supply house that carries rainbow), throw some gravel into the bottom of the hole (that's your drain field), and fill the hole with dirt. I would use the drain valve rather than a plug to avoid any problems should the system be subject to freezing. The drain valve blocks the line when the water is under pressure, but allows it to drain when the pressure is stopped.

If you take this > Hello,

Reply to
William Brown