Dirty Pool - Milky Water

Hi, I have a quick question. My pool is very dirty, water is kind of milky white color. What do you guys think is the problem and what can I do to clean the water?

Thanks for your time and help.

Reply to
a1kashur

If the pool has a DE (diatomaceous earth) filter, chances are one or more of the filter grids has a hole and needs to be replaced. Even a small hole in one of the grids will be enough to cause milky water.

Reply to
Rick Yerger

agreed, been there, done that

Mark

Reply to
Mark

If you have a cardrige filter/filters there can be a whole. Has allot of stuff been blowing in the pool ? Have you recently cleaned the filters? Have you had the water tested? How often do you shock the pool? How long do you run your filters and how many gallons is your pool? I notice in my pool after I clean the cartridge filter the pool takes a few weeks to get really clean. I was cleaning the filter to often, they seem to need a little debris on them to catch the small partials. But I would not use the word Milky white to describe the water. It did get a little cloudy after using Home Depot shock but not even for a day. I've only had my pool about a year I have the water checked every three to four weeks and don't want to omit how often I check it. I thought when we got a pool and sold the boat it would be less work and $$$, Now I have a 22,000 gallon step down boat. Good luck post what you find out.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I have cardridge filters. I recently changed the filters after about 10 days. I guess I should change them more often now. I test the chemicals almost everyday, the chemicals are all fine. I don't usually shock the pool. How often should I shock it? I run filters 24/7. I should mention it is not house pool but a pool on a property I own. It's an in-door pool.

Thanks for all your replies, as I understand this, it is most likely the filters that are causing this.

Reply to
Ali

Wait not so fast. There is one other option to check as well. Has the pool been repainted in the past few years? If so, it can be the paint chalking off. One test is rub your hand below waterline and see if there is any white residue coming off on to your hand. This is one scenario I had at a previous home. Lessoned learned - never paint a pool.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Shock it, you said you havent been doing it at all so it sounds to me like your in desperate need of a good chlorine shock treatment. also, by your post, i see your in need of some pool training, go to your local pool supply shop and talk to them, bring in a sample of water ( a couple of cups will do it) and they will test it for free for you. One final thing, i knew a guy who used to stand there and drip his test chemicals directly in the pool and watch the reaction - he claimed he "could tell" what condition it was in that way - NOT ! When i tested his pool it was way way off - took me 2 weeks to get it back in balance. Once a pool is brought into proper chemical balance it will tend to stay there with very little work and a minimum of chemicals **IF** you stay on schedule, maintain the filter properly on schedule etc and do it right. A balanced pool thats neglected for too long will stay ok for awhile and then suddenly go south and it will be a real bitch to get it back in shape again. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Those Cartridge filters last years you just clean them. Buy powder shock. Go to a pool supply, They will point you in the right direction. Bring water sample and measurement off pool ( Close) so the can tell you the gallons if you don't know, Running filters 24/7 WOW I would rethink that $$$$$$$$$

Reply to
Sacramento Dave