Dirty hot water

Odd thing happened yesterday. Preceding it, I noticed the kitchen sink faucet was leaking a little so did what I've successfully done in the past

- turning each faucet on and off firmly about 50 times, which has stopped leaks in the past. I have no idea how. I mention this in case it might pertain to the next paragraph.

Any way, running the kitchen sink hot water shortly thereafter, the water started running dirty. Looked like rust. I checked the bathroom, which is next to the water heater, and the hot water was clear, so it wasn't the water heater. I let it run for several minutes and it cleared up, and has remained clear since.

Curious. Any guesses?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

you have any galvanized water lines in your home?

that faucet might have been on when some dirt got in water line from saya leak repair on the street.

Reply to
bob haller

bob haller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

AFAIK all copper originally with PVC repairs. I think that line is all copper.

Nope, I have a well. Should have mentioned that.

Reply to
KenK

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A mobile home. Too lazy to look it up but probably 40 or more.

Again too lazy to go look - probably copper - if not, PVC.

Hot water gets used at least twice a day in kitchen to do dishes.

Reply to
KenK

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:98Cdnc6jvMWN snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ah. Sounds like a very good possibilty. Never happened before though.

Reply to
KenK

Turning it off and on caused the water to stop abruptly and loosed up some crap that has been accumulating for a long time.

That is a fairly common procedure when blowing down a steam boiler so it looses up and gets the solids floating so they can be flushed out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Washer colored dirty? That means black in most cases.

Your washer is falling apart? ;-) Not likely, but if the faucet starts dripping much worse, save the old washer for physical and chemical analysis!

Reply to
micky

I have seen that happen when the fire department flushes the fire hydrants. Could it be they did that recently in your neighborhood??

Reply to
Ken

Ken wrote in news:mpdotb$jiq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Out in the country. No hydrants, Using well water,

Reply to
KenK

That would dirty all the water in the heater - and the bathroom sink too.

I'm voting for accumulated dirt in the pipes getting jarred loose by jamming the tap closed quickly several times.

Reply to
clare