Dirty Air conditioner

Hi,
We have a big Freiderich's in the wall ac unit in our kitchen that seems to be really dirty. I am seeing black debri chunks coming down on the kitchen floor. It looks like dirt but it's kind of dry and hard and not heavy - almost like cardboard.
I can see a bunch of it when I look inside the unit from the kitchen. It's been up a long time now. I've always cleaned the filter, but this is different.
How can I clean this? Should I call a repair company and have it serviced?
It's been a great unit so far. Hope we can fix this.
Thanks in advance for any tips, Steve
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 08:05:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you can get it out of the wall you can clean it yourself. The stuff coming out of it may be part of the airbox separating the inside from the outside fans and stuff. If that's the case you might have a problem.

Mine started spitting out chunks of mold. I just replaced it with a new one. Mine was 18 years old. I didn't even try to clean it up.