Dirt/Rust Particles in Hot water

I recently moved into a 11 year old house that has hot water radiation heat and the hot water for the house comes from this source as well. We've been noticing small particles of dirt/rust only from the hot water, not the cold. We are on a Artesian well and there is a filter on the water coming from the well.

What could be the problem? Can I put another filter on the Hot water supply line going to the rest of the house?

Thanks,

Reply to
SteveC

I don't think the filter housings are made to take the temperature.

The solids (minerals) you see are dissolved in the water and the filter will not catch them from the well to the water heater tank. When the water sits in the water heater, it precipitates out and collects in the bottom of the heater. If it is very old, it may be loaded with gunk. You may or may not be able to flush it out. Caution: Often when the bottom valve is opened, it won't close completely and will drip. It may be getting on to time to replace the tank too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Heating system is 11 years old. I have done some research and found some filters and housings that will handle up to 200 Deg F. Thanks,

Reply to
SteveC

That will get the particles out of the rest of the house, but not cure the problem. You may want to consider a softener too as that will remove dissolved solids.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Steve,

Can you ask the old owners about this? I'd bet you are supposed to flush the crud out every year or so to prevent this. Maybe your furnace guy can advise you if you ca't ask the previous owners. I'd bet that crud builds up in your radiators over the Summer and also accumulates in the hot water tank if you have one.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I just drained some hot water off it and it was rotten and full of rust/dirt particles. I drained off about 10 gallons. I wonder if that is enough. I will try it again later to see if I get some more come out.

Thanks,

Reply to
SteveC

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Add that to your routine maintainance and the water heater will last longer. Or get real creative and plumb the drain line to a washing machine and it will draw the bottom every time you do a load. (aftter the initial sludge removal)

Reply to
beecrofter

Try it a few more times. Flush it as long as you get particles, then do it on a regular basis, about once a month, to keep it clean.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski