dirt in hot water line

Every time I turn on the hot water in my bathroom, dirt (not rust) comes out for maybe half a minute. Any ideas on the cause or what I should do to eliminate the problem? Thanks
Have you ever flushed your water heater,
A Gamer for Life wrote:>Every time I turn on the hot water in my bathroom, dirt (not rust) comes out

Maybe flush the water heater? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Tom wrote:

It may be many things.
Did it just start? How long have you been at that home? Has it even happened before? When how often? What color is the dirt? How do you know it is not rust? What does it look like? Do you have a water softener?
Some possibilities and thoughts.
Some dissolved solids do not dissolve as well in hot water so they precipitate out when the water gets hot. This can end up in the bottom of the water heater or other places.
Problems with pipes can cause corrosion of various types including pipes and fittings.
How old is the water heater. A while back a number of water heaters were made with a new plastic dip tube. It turns out that some waters cause the plastic to go bad and that will clog stuff (generally white granulars).
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

pipes
cause
granulars).
happens in my hallway bathroom faucets. I noticed it was dirt not rust when my tub was draining slowly. After it finally drained there was a black residue in the botton of the tub.

DIANNE ROBERTS wrote:

Bingo. It sounds like a washer falling apart. I would guess you are about to get a leaky faucet.
BTW rust can often look black.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math