direct vent propane fireplace.

My wife installed a direct vent propane fireplace.
After 15 minutes of very nice and warm use, the air in the room takes on a noticeable smell of fumes or whatever. The fireplace guy I hired to check it out says it was a great installation and that the smell is from it being new, the fire is burning the factory oil or whatever off and that's what we smell.
I say it has to be more than that if I am into my 15th use of the fireplace.
I turn it off when it gets that stinky. I don't get headaches but I seem to get drowsy. Any ideas?
                             _________________________ Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 05:23:21 -0500, "fireman11"

What kind of use? I seem to recall that when I bought mine 10-12 years ago the directions said to open the windows and run on high for several hours.

What is the reading on your digital CO/explosive-gas meter? Does it spike when you run the stove?
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Oct 26, 5:23 am, "fireman11"

Your name is fireman, its the wifes fault, its a ventless unit, your tired when its on, you are a troll
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Get a carbon monoxide detector to see what the fumes are or are not. You can buy a basic UL approved one for under $20 at Walmart. If it's not CO, you're ok and your fireplace jest has that new burnt finish smell (call the manufacturer).
http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/a/codetectors.htm
If it is CO, it can kill you without your feeling any side effects. So many deaths have occured in Colorado (scarily, CO!), CO detectors are now required by law.
nb
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Where is the replacement air coming from? Open a window an inch or so and see if things change.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.