Dip tube question

Page 2 of 2

That web page said nothing about the matter at hand.
Would you give me a link to a page telling how to drain sediment from a WH tank, when the drain faucet at the bottom is used for the water input?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

It's not rocket science... Water can flow through a pipe in either direction. Use a T with the vertical part going into the tank. One side of the T is your supply, the other is the drain. Inline shutoff valves on both sides.
Lets see. Now, if you open the drain, the water flows from the cold water supply, through the Tee, and out the drain. So, tell me how you get the sediment out of the tank, since the cold water goes right out the drain, without going into the WH?
With the conventional setup, the water comes in through the dip tube, and out the drain. at least the conventional, water flows through the WH during sediment draining.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I didn't say it was the smart way - only that it was possible. :) Presumably any sediment gets carried out by gravity.
The only reason I could see plumbing the tank this way would be a short term work around to a broken dip tube, so maybe sediment isn't a concern...

Reading this discussion, I am wondering what the need for the dip tube is in the first place. Why not have the cold water inlet at the bottom of the WH? Perhaps an inch or two above the bottom so it could flush any sediment. The drain could be set 90 or so away from the inlet. There probably would have to be a backflow preventer before the inlet, but I don't *think* that would be a big deal.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Makes too much sense. No one would build such an intelligent design.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Maybe they like both pipes being at the top, near the ceiling.
I didn't know dip tubes failed, so maybe they should reconsider.

dip tubes today rarely fail, after some bad times years ago when they first went to plastic dip tubes, previously they were copper.
plus the swirl shape of most dip tubes helps keep the bottom of the tank clean