Dimming Groups of lights with dedicated switches

I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same circuit. Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1 Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2 Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. I am not trying to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

Reply to
Marc Mueller

I'm not sure what the question is. This is just straight forward using 3 independent dimmer switches, that are on one 15 amp circuit, right? You have a 14 gauge romex going into a switch box, 3 dimmers,

3 romex leaving box going to light fixtures, which are daisy chained on appropriate romex.
Reply to
trader4

has lots of info and diagrams. Use

600 watt dimmers. Your total watts is less than 80% of a 15 amp circuit, so you're good to go.
Reply to
volts500

Find yourself a theater tech.

Reply to
Goedjn

you must derate them if they are all in the same box!

Reply to
hallerb

I may be mis remembering, but isn't there in the NEC a limit on the total number of fixtues / devices on a circuit, regardless of the total wattage drawn by the devices / fixtures?

Isn't 18 devces / fixtures too many?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

A theater tech? For a simple 3 gang switch?

Reply to
Steve Barker

It won't be a simple 3-gang switch when the tech gets done with it. What kind of studio was this, again?

Reply to
Goedjn

Good catch. Yes, any equipment fastened in place can't exceed 50% of the circuit rating (NEC 210.23). If the fixtures are rated for 100 watts, he could only put 9 on a 15 amp circuit.

`
Reply to
volts500

Might as well as use 12 guage and wire it that way. I would be more interested in maxing out the rated limits in the switches. They do make more higher end stuff that can handle more continueous power.

Tom

Reply to
tksirius