Dimmer Switch Smoking

Page 2 of 2
On 4 Dec 2005 23:35:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Seems strange to me that a device should be rated at 600W and yet be "pushing its limits" at that load. I would think the rating should be somewhat conservative.
Nevertheless I don't doubt that my 600W load probably had something to do with the problem. I will pull out one of the 100W bulbs which I really don't need, and then eventually replace the rest with 75W which should be sufficient for this room.
I have a bunch of other 600W Skylarks in my home but thankfully they are all pushing 300W or less.
DaveR wrote:

Switch over to compact fluorescents. They use about 25% of the energy, give excellent light and last far longer.

Except that most CF bulbs can't be dimmed.

husband was home. He liked these lights up all the way and the lights would periodically go out. She liked the lights around 50% and never had a problem. I agree Lutron should rerate this model at around 500W! And that stuff about removing the heatsink tabs lowering the rating (although they never actually admitted to that it was implied) seemed totally out of line. Richard
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:24:18 -0500, DaveR

Let me guess. You forgot to put a "No Smoking" sign in that room !!!!! :)