Dimmer Switch

-------------------------------------
I am an amateur at repairs. I bought a new faceplate for an electrical outlet that has 2 regular light switches and 1 dimmer switch. It is the old fashion circular knob for the dimmer. I turned power off, switched plates and now the dimmer will not turn the light on and off. The new plate is thicker than the old so I am sure the problem is the metal post that the dimmer fits over needs to be further out form the base than it is. Since I can't find instructions on the internet how to install the old type, I am not sure how to extend the post out further. Do I just turn it w pliers or do i need an electrician
SCCWS wrote:

I doubt that is your problem but you can try taking the round knob off - just pull - and turning the shaft by hand. When you put the knob back mind that the shaft has a flat on one side so line the knob up is positioned correctly and just push it on.
The post isn't extensible.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Dimmer-Switch-616614-.htm sccws wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

------------------------------------- The switch will dim/bighten the lights when turned clockwise/cc so it does work. But when pushed in, it does not turn the lights out. I put the old( thinner plate) back and it works fine.

push in far enough to toggle from on to off and back. Putting a spacer inside the knob so it does not hit the plate fixes it, very simply, every time. A wad of tissue in the hole works fine.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Dimmer-Switch-616614-.htm SCCWS wrote: Clare: You are a genius. Thank you very much for the response. It was as simple as a tiny wad of paper towel. snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

-------------------------------------
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:40:38 +0000, triste037_at_aol_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (SCCWS) wrote:

I've been called a lot worse!!!!

"> I am an amateur at repairs. I bought a new faceplate for an electrical

*I have encountered that problem with some customer furnished wall plates. There usually is no adjustment on the center post of the dimmer. You could try loosening the screws that hold the dimmer to the electrical box so that the wall plate screws will pull it out enough to function. If that doesn't work change to a Toggler (AKA Ariadni) type dimmer by Lutron.
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:12:26 +0000, triste037_at_aol_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (SCCWS) wrote:

stem - just enough to form a roughly 1/16" plug in the end of the hole, and everything will work just fine.

Having read your follow-up post you may want to try loosening the screws that hold the dimmer unit in the box and placing a non-conductive shim between the back plate and the box. This may not solve your problem with some of the thicker decorative covers but it is worth trying.
Changing out the dimmer to a twist only model or a switch slider unit should solve the problem in any case.
--
Colbyt
On 1/22/2011 2:12 PM, SCCWS wrote:

This is were I usually mention how inefficient light dimmers are, but I don't know if it's for a CFL, I haven't checked their efficiency, just incandescent bulbs.