dimmer on grinder

I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of motor that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and slow it down?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

no. it most probably has a universal motor and this will burn it up.

Reply to
chaniarts

You really need an AC motor speed control. Here are three sold by W.W. Grainger:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 5/9/2011 10:04 AM chaniarts spake thus:

Wrong. If it *does* have a "universal" (i.e., shunt-wired AC/DC motor w/brushes), then a dimmer *will* work as a speed control. That's essentially what variable-speed power tools use.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I think you'd be better off buying a $20 orbital polisher from HF. [or a $35 one from Amazon or Walmart]

There is a bit of randomness to its orbit that prevents it just grooving a ball if a speck of crud gets in your polisher. Plus you don't need to mess with the speed. [And what kind of welder are you that you have a grinder you don't *need*. ]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Wrong. David Nebenzahl is 100% right.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Safely, probably yes; vary the speed, no.

Reply to
Larry W

I have since found a brand new 1/3 hp electric motor in my shop that will work perfectly with a little reduction.

hmmmmmmm. I wonder what else is out there ....................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On 5/9/2011 2:29 PM hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

Of course I am! Thanks for pointing it out.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 5/9/2011 4:29 PM Steve B spake thus:

Well, whoa, wait a minute there, pal. You mean a regular induction motor, like you'd find on a bench grinder, jig saw, that type of stationary power tool? Sorry, you can't vary its speed with a dimmer. That only works on "universal"-type motors (electric drills, etc.). You know, the kind of motor that has brushes, sparks and all that.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I would try it with a 2000 w dimmer, I don know if a regular dimmer will work or even last with the startup surge but maybe it will. If it doesnt work you know.

Reply to
ransley

Why would you need to polish billard balls? You run a pool hall? Fwiw, I use a vibrating bullet casing polisher to polish pinballs and small pinball parts. It was pretty cheap.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

It WILL slow it down. Some dimmers will take the counter EMF from the brushed motor, some won't - so the "safely" part is a mabee. Won't hurt the grinder, either way

Reply to
clare

I've never polished my balls, and they work perfectly!

Reply to
jw

Get an old record player from a garage sale or online auction for a couple bucks. A grinder will probably be too fast anyhow, even if you can reduce the speed.

Reply to
jw