Dimmable LEDs and catalog for All Electric

Designed for 12-24 VDC LED strip lights like our CAT#s LS-12-CW, NW, WW. Clearly-marked screw-clamp input/output terminals. Rotary adjustment. 3.5" x 2.35" x 2.25" high (including knob). Mounting holes on

1.6" x 3.1" centers. CAT# DMR-8 $19.95 each 12-24 VDC 8A DIMMER

I don't know how well it works.

Comes from the All Electric catalog. They used to mail them often, printed on newsprint with a little bit of color. I bought from them but then lost track of them when they stopped mailing catallogs.

They sell mostly small parts, and 10 years ago, they were usually cheap.

The link on the first line will get you a pdf file. or they'll mail you paper.

micky

I went through the rest of the pdf catalog and it's even better than it used to be, longer, nothing very expensive, a wide range of things or many sorts. Not too much for outdoors but plenty of small parts and a few not so small for indoors.

Reply to
micky

They sell the Dawson DDM644. The rotary switch has something like 34 positions, all marked in white characters. Mistaking DC for AC could be fatal

With a precision reference, I found that it registered 10.07 VDC at

10.00. I need more precision. I opened it and found 7 unmarked pots. I contacted support. They said it's against their policy to provide adjustment information. The customer is supposed to send the meter back to them each year for calibration. If I paid them to calibrate my new meter, it would come back the same way because 10.07 is within their standards.
Reply to
J Burns

re: "Comes from the All Electric catalog"

AFAICT it's "All Electronics", not "All Electric".

I bought a similar device on ebay for a lot less than $19.95. $5.29, free s hipping, arrived in 3 days. You can get the same style dimmer for even less , but I needed mine fairly quickly so I spent an extra couple of bucks for a more "local" vendor.

ame=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You'll note 2 differences between the units: The case of the ebay unit has no screws and the input is marked as DC 12V-24V while the All Electronics unit has screws and only shows DC 24V on the case. However, the spec sheet notes a Supply Voltage of 12V or 24V.

I bought the dimmer and a 15 ft strip of Warm White 5050 waterproof LEDs ($

10.99) to take along for our camping trip to Maine. After setting up the ca nopy over the picnic table, I weaved the LED strip through the canopy's fra mework. I powered the system with a 12V power pack.

I'm glad I bought the dimmer. The LED's were too bright at full power, even for cooking dinner after dark. Once dinner was over, I dimmed them way dow n just for some soft lighting over the table while we enjoyed the campfire. We had just enough light to watch the skunk stroll into our site and climb into the garbage bag for a snack.

re: "I don't know how well it works."

As far as long term reliability, it's too soon to tell. It worked well with no problems for 4 nights, but will it stand up to everyday use? I don't kn ow yet, however, I may soon find out. Once SWMBO saw how well the system wo rked under the canopy, she wants me to try it under the kitchen cabinets ov er the main prep area.

The one thing I haven't checked out yet is whether the system draws any pow er when set to "Off". My unit didn't click off, but the LED's were not lit when the dimmer was at the Off end of the range. Whether or not there is a phantom draw is something I haven't tested yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oh, yeah. Thanks. I named the pdf file wrong, too.

Well, of course one can often do better, but I wanted people to know this was available. I"m not their personal shopper.

There's enormous variety of prices on the web. I came across some kind of print server, I think it was, that Amazon vendors were selling new for $100, and used for 200, 300, and 454 dollars.

Sounds nice.

Good luck.

Reply to
micky

e shipping, arrived in 3 days.

I wasn't trying to brag. I don't even know if I did better. I was merely po inting out another possible option. As I noted afterwards, they are not the same unit. Screws might (might) indicate a better unit, so maybe the ebay unit is a cheap clone that will fail in a very short while.

We'll see.

[...]

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well I misunderstood you and I think you misunderstoood me. Where are the right emoticons when we need them!

Indeed.

Reply to
micky