dimmable CFLs?

I find 3-way CFLs to be fairly common - available at Target, home centers in general, and at least roughly half of all hardware stores.

Don Klipstein

Update ^2: ended up at Lowe's today because I needed some metric cap screws that I didn't have in my assortment, and *they* carry Sylvania brand dimmable CFLs. Picked up two of those and tried them. They're actually quite functional, but some stuff you should know if you're considering them:

1) The package says "warm white," but I don't believe it. They're really more of a traditional pure white fluorescent color, and instead of getting warmer as you dim them like an incandescent, if anything, they get cooler, with a little added red tint as well. They go purple, if anything. This is not a Bad Thing in this application, because SWMBO insisted on buying those "reveal" bulbs before CFLs became common, she hates yellow tinted light. But it might be a problem for you. 2) They're really freaking bright. The "100W equivalent" ones might actually equal the light output of a 100W incandescent bulb. They looked significantly brighter than the several year old "100W equivalent" regular CFLs in my kitchen. 3) They're still somewhat large. I see that there are now more compact CFLs available that fit better into your light fixtures, but these are approximately the same size as the first-gen ones. The "60W" ones are smaller than the "100W" ones... 4) they only dim down to about half brightness. So for what I'm trying to do (provide normal/dimmish light in the living room, with the ability to brighten it if desired for reading/whatever) that's OK, but if you leave the house with a light near the front door on almost full dim just to act as a night light, these will be way too bright for that use.

But anyway, these actually do work, so there's one option. I have not tried the GE ones because I have been unable to obtain any, but given the white color of these ones I suspect that these are probably the best option for domestic harmony :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel