Dimensional lumber at HD

Page 2 of 2

Around here Lowes is noticably better the Home Depot. 84 Lumber only had pine, but it was good quality.
Stubby wrote:

S:
Not quite. I do go there expecting studs that won't be premade airplane propellors or 'rustic cabin siding, 2" thick', or gigantic clothespins, and find I am sometimes disappointed.
Cordially yours: GP
On 3 Jan 2007 14:10:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Speaking of that, where can one buy cedar shingles? I only need one or two to repair a bird feeder. :)

Stubby wrote:

Naw, customers *should* expect to find the same quality lumber that can buy at the local real lumber yard (where the professional framer would get his supplies). What they find is a different story.
George wrote:

Ya pays your money and ya takes your pick.
last time I went to HD the contractors were lined up at the register 15 people deep. They must not be "professional contractors" right? you are a shmuck!
a deal is a deal no matter where it comes from. do what I do when I need lumber at HD. make them pull a new lift for you to pick through...........they will and they do.
message
| Naw, customers *should* expect to find the same quality lumber that can | buy at the local real lumber yard (where the professional framer would | get his supplies). What they find is a different story.
wildo wrote:

If you can't refute an argument you only make yourself look silly with childish name calling. Google "ad hominem" for more information.

I haven't noticed any quality differences between our local lumber yards, Lowes, or Home Depot. It's mostly a matter of first come, first serve. If you're first to get to the pile, you can find lots of nice straight lumber. If you get there after it has been picked over, all that will be left is the warped and twisted firewood. :)
The lumber yards work better for large orders like framing a garage or something, but they're not very convenient to go in and hand pick a few 2x4's for a workbench or something. Especially if I need to pick up a few boards late in the evening, along with a faucet, a rake, a plant, and a book. :)
Anthony
HerHusband wrote: