diluting paint

Kilz specifications only allow their products to be thinned by

10%--but they don't recommend thinning if trying to hide stains.

Make sure if your painter is using a Kilz product that he get's the right one for your job. If it is an exterior job "KILZ Exterior" or "KILZ Premium" is what is required. (Personally, I got better results with BIN 123 for a latex exterior primer).

I never thinned paint with water, but occasionally I did thin paint with "Floetrol". This is a product that slows down the drying time of latex and lowers the amount of pressure needed to spray. In general, Floetrol makes latex more like an alkyd to work with. It's a great product and a lot better than diluting the paint with water, IMO.

Bruce A.& B.Construction Houston, Texas

Bruce

Yes...I agree with you...You can spray (and if the painter were really Professional)....Airless Spray.....No need then to 'thin' the paint out and drop the 'Solids' and the 'Volume Solids' ...........Let...Nehmo...learn about more than Just 'Paint and Stain'.....Let him learn about 'Application' ..OF..The 'Paint and Stain'.....I hope they also train him in this as well ....

Bigbazza

Bigbazza

Reply to
Bigbazza

It sounds like this painter is a school teacher on summer vacation using his Wagner buzz gun to make some chump change.

Any professional with professional equipment will simply adjust the tip size of the sprayer depending on the viscosity of the paint.

Most coatings specifically state "thinning not recommended". However some will allow up to 10% thinning. Most coatings also recommend a thickness spec. (too thin means they won't honor the warranty)

I'd be extremely concerned about any painter that wants to adjust the product vs. adjust his equipment.

Reply to
davefr