Digitally store a key

I am sorry we are closing and no futher locksmith service will be available.. He will NOW have a great reason to fix the problem:) for anyone who calls during that 30 days tell them to tell the locksmith all callers will be told locksmith out of business

I had to do this for a previous owner of my 800 number, they were getting more calls than me and i was paying for all of them:)

That problem ended FAST:)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd not want that information in a digital kiosk. Wait, it wants your home adress, too?

And most people _think_ they have a good hiding place.

But most thieves already know where the "good hiding places" are.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, you can't have one without the other.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here's another solution to the "locked out" problem.

Hang a small windchime on your front porch, the cheap kind with a few different metal shapes. Replace a couple of them with a lock pick and tension bar.

Learn to pick your own lock. You'll get used to your own, it's not like you have to become expert or fast.

Unlike hiding a key, you haven't given access to just anybody who finds it. Your ex isn't going to get in and unplug your freezer while you're on vacation in July.

You haven't given access to burglars either. They don't know how to pick locks, they just kick doors in. That .1% that might know probably already own a lock pick.

Reply to
TimR

Well, I'll agree that they know where the most *common* hiding places are, which may very well be the same the ones that many people consider "good" e ven if they are not.

However, I doubt they know where the actual "good" hiding places are. The k ey to my back door is in a "good" hiding spot, but that spot is nothing th at would be considered "common" - not even close to common and not even clo se to the door for that matter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Get caught breaking into your own house may even get you a beer with the President.

Reply to
Metspitzer

When I've gone canoeing, I've lways wondered whether to take my key with me or leave it at the canoe rental place. I think I always take it with me. So far so good.

Reply to
micky

Unless you are driving a shuttle vehicle back to the start point, why take the key?

If there is a secure place at wherever it is you are returning to, I don't see the need to take the risk.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't trust the people who collect the keys, or all those who know where they store them.

No risk. I safety pin my keys into my clothes. Never had a fob before 2 years ago. Now I'll probably leave the fob in the car somewhere and just take the key. Maybe I'll take a non-electronic key and leave the electronic one in my my car.

Reply to
micky

No, it doesn't. Learn to read.

The kiosk does not store any personal information, only your fingerprint and the key data.

I suppose if you have a criminal record, the right person with the right access could cross-reference the fingerprint and get your personal information. But, you're a criminal. Would I really want to break into your home knowing that?

Reply to
dennisgauge

That makes sense. I've never gotten anything wet in a canoe. Just don't ask me what happened to stuff outside the canoe and how it got there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you consider a safety pin a "no risk" solution, so be it. I can certainly see a situation where a fall could bend the pin in such a manner that it opens - maybe not right away, maybe later. I'd still call it "some risk" vs. "no risk".

Now, the non-electronic key is a good idea. If everything else go wrong, you could still call AAA or a locksmith and get the real key out of your car.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, it doesn't. Learn to read.

The kiosk does not store any personal information, only your fingerprint and the key data.

I suppose if you have a criminal record, the right person with the right access could cross-reference the fingerprint and get your personal information. But, you're a criminal. Would I really want to break into your home knowing that?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Somehow I had a girlfriend from Hungary when I was about 30. She had rented a campsite for the summer next to the Delaware River in NJ or NY. But it turned out she was the only single woman there and all the rest were couples. The women were suspicious of her, though I don't think she had done anything.

We're canoeing. I'm in the back. She's in the front, sunbathing, stretched out with her head stickig out on one side of the the canoe and her legs on the other. I was looking right at her and didn't see her move, but all of a sudden the canoe flipped over. But in those days I was competent, had everything in a plastic bag, which was in a canvas duffel bag to keep the inner bag from ripping, which was in a big plastic bag to keep the canvas bag from getting wet.

During the Hungarian revolution in 1956, she wasn't getting along well with her mother, so when the Russians invaded, she swam across the Danube to get away from them. I can't remember if they were shooting at her or not. She was about 14 then. She ended up in NYC, and when I met her she was a sometimes lecturer on art at Columbia Univ. She sometimes led "field trips" to NYC art museums, and gave her lectures there. Pretty good for where she started. After we broke up, things loosened up in Hungary so she went back to see her family etc. It turned out her monther had a decade earlier moved to NYC, and was the superintendant of an apartment building on the upper east side. My friend lived of course on the upper west side. So they lived nearby for almost a decade but neither knew it. When she got back she looked up her mother and it was wonderful to see her. But within a couple weeks her mother was nagging her again, too much makeup, this, that, the same reasons she left at age 14.

Reply to
micky

I don't consider too much makeup and Russians shooting at her to be similar reasons. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

Wow, I remember that being on the news back then. I was only 10 at the time but there were many refugees coming to the US.

Mothers just can't change sometimes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wow, I remember that being on the news back then. I was only 10 at the time but there were many refugees coming to the US.

Mothers just can't change sometimes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I see the smiley, but FTR if they were shooting, they weren't shooting until she was swimming away, so she was leaving before they started shooting. She blameed her mother, not the reimposition of Communist rule after a 2 weeks where the revolution still had a chance of success. Budapest is the combination of two cities, Buda and Pest, one on each side of the Danube. Currently there are about 10 bridges across the river within Budapest. I don't know why she had to swim. Soviet soldiers posted at the bridges? But why then was she safer on the other side?

BTW, this was when Cardinal Mindszenty fled to the US Embassy, where he lived for 15 years before being allowed out of the country. Sort of like the wikileaks guy, in Ecuador's embassy, maybe, except for the reason why. From wikip " During World War II he was imprisoned by the pro-Nazi authorities.[2] After the war, he opposed communism and the communist persecution in his country. As a result, he was tortured and given a life sentence in a 1949 show trial that generated worldwide condemnation, including a United Nations resolution. After eight years in prison, he was freed in the Hungarian Revolution of

1956 and granted political asylum by the United States embassy in Budapest, where Mindszenty lived for the next fifteen years.[2] He was finally allowed to leave the country in 1971. He died in exile in 1975 in Vienna, Austria."

This was also big news in 1956, and medium news for years afterwards.

Reply to
micky

I know there are detective and online services that for money will get more info that just your phone number.

But is there any way yet for the average guy to run someone's fingerprints. Is there an android app for it?

Reply to
micky

It doesn't.

Reply to