Digitally store a key

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:16:53 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I do know a locksmith well enough, but that does not fix the problem. When my boss went to Austria, he took the car door key with him as it is on his chain. His wife decided to use the car (instead of hers) and take the fob to open the doors. Ignition key was different. She locked the car, went to a school function, came out and the fob would not work.
It took me over an hour to get the dealer (60 miles away) to call a local locksmith with the code. Had to prove I was authorized, etc.
Given all the electronics in the door, no one would take the chance of a slim jim.

I believe the service offered by the company mentioned in the OP was for residential keys, but I see no reason why it couldn't be used for non-electronic cars keys.
My son lost the electronic key for his car and thought it was going to cost him $300+ for new key from the dealer. He called a locksmith who made him a new electronic key (after proof of ownership) by using the VIN. He charged him $150, $100 of which was covered by my AAA Plus plan. The locksmith also threw in a non-electronic key for free so he can at least get into the car if he locks the keys inside or loses them.
BTW...he didn't actually lose the electronic key. He knows where it is: at the bottom of the creek he was canoeing on. He put it in a tied down, watertight container in one of the canoes and closed it properly. He even checked it during one of their breaks. Sometime later somebody else opened the container, didn't close it properly and ended up flipping the canoe. He wasn't the only person that lost items. A bunch of people were pissed.
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 16:50:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

When I've gone canoeing, I've lways wondered whether to take my key with me or leave it at the canoe rental place. I think I always take it with me. So far so good.

Unless you are driving a shuttle vehicle back to the start point, why take the key?
If there is a secure place at wherever it is you are returning to, I don't see the need to take the risk.
On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:18:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I don't trust the people who collect the keys, or all those who know where they store them.

No risk. I safety pin my keys into my clothes. Never had a fob before 2 years ago. Now I'll probably leave the fob in the car somewhere and just take the key. Maybe I'll take a non-electronic key and leave the electronic one in my my car.

That makes sense. I've never gotten anything wet in a canoe. Just don't ask me what happened to stuff outside the canoe and how it got there.

Somehow I had a girlfriend from Hungary when I was about 30. She had rented a campsite for the summer next to the Delaware River in NJ or NY. But it turned out she was the only single woman there and all the rest were couples. The women were suspicious of her, though I don't think she had done anything.
We're canoeing. I'm in the back. She's in the front, sunbathing, stretched out with her head stickig out on one side of the the canoe and her legs on the other. I was looking right at her and didn't see her move, but all of a sudden the canoe flipped over. But in those days I was competent, had everything in a plastic bag, which was in a canvas duffel bag to keep the inner bag from ripping, which was in a big plastic bag to keep the canvas bag from getting wet.
During the Hungarian revolution in 1956, she wasn't getting along well with her mother, so when the Russians invaded, she swam across the Danube to get away from them. I can't remember if they were shooting at her or not. She was about 14 then. She ended up in NYC, and when I met her she was a sometimes lecturer on art at Columbia Univ. She sometimes led "field trips" to NYC art museums, and gave her lectures there. Pretty good for where she started. After we broke up, things loosened up in Hungary so she went back to see her family etc. It turned out her monther had a decade earlier moved to NYC, and was the superintendant of an apartment building on the upper east side. My friend lived of course on the upper west side. So they lived nearby for almost a decade but neither knew it. When she got back she looked up her mother and it was wonderful to see her. But within a couple weeks her mother was nagging her again, too much makeup, this, that, the same reasons she left at age 14.

I don't consider too much makeup and Russians shooting at her to be similar reasons. :)

Wow, I remember that being on the news back then. I was only 10 at the time but there were many refugees coming to the US.

Mothers just can't change sometimes.
Does she have a key digitally stored? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Wow, I remember that being on the news back then. I was only 10 at the time but there were many refugees coming to the US.

Mothers just can't change sometimes.

I see the smiley, but FTR if they were shooting, they weren't shooting until she was swimming away, so she was leaving before they started shooting. She blameed her mother, not the reimposition of Communist rule after a 2 weeks where the revolution still had a chance of success. Budapest is the combination of two cities, Buda and Pest, one on each side of the Danube. Currently there are about 10 bridges across the river within Budapest. I don't know why she had to swim. Soviet soldiers posted at the bridges? But why then was she safer on the other side?
BTW, this was when Cardinal Mindszenty fled to the US Embassy, where he lived for 15 years before being allowed out of the country. Sort of like the wikileaks guy, in Ecuador's embassy, maybe, except for the reason why. From wikip " During World War II he was imprisoned by the pro-Nazi authorities.[2] After the war, he opposed communism and the communist persecution in his country. As a result, he was tortured and given a life sentence in a 1949 show trial that generated worldwide condemnation, including a United Nations resolution. After eight years in prison, he was freed in the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 and granted political asylum by the United States embassy in Budapest, where Mindszenty lived for the next fifteen years.[2] He was finally allowed to leave the country in 1971. He died in exile in 1975 in Vienna, Austria."
This was also big news in 1956, and medium news for years afterwards.

If you consider a safety pin a "no risk" solution, so be it. I can certainly see a situation where a fall could bend the pin in such a manner that it opens - maybe not right away, maybe later. I'd still call it "some risk" vs. "no risk".
Now, the non-electronic key is a good idea. If everything else go wrong, you could still call AAA or a locksmith and get the real key out of your car.
On 6/30/2013 10:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Every now and then I get a call for a locksmith because an on-line business group put in my phone number for his. His last 4 digits are the same but the first three are different. I've sent email to the site, called the locksmith and faxed him to no avail. At first I wanted to help him and the callers but now its, tough shit.
Locked my keys in the car when I was 16. Ever since I've carried an extra key in my wallet.
On 06-29-2013 14:26, nestork wrote:

But I'm sure a large percentage of them don't care.
--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
On Saturday, June 29, 2013 9:45:18 AM UTC-7, Metspitzer wrote:

l-copy-your-key-6C10459204

Now all they have to do is get your thumb print like they did on Mythbuster s.
personally the best addition here was my digital doorlock. its worked flawless for about 2 years. its so convenient.....
and no need go go anywhere to get a replacement key:)
I still have a doorlock key with me, but havent used it or over a year. i managed to lock myself out in my back yard, my front door electronc lock use the same key my backyard doors do..
i used the key rater than deal with opening a gate....
for the poster who get calls intended for a locksmith, call thelocksmith one last time:) Be SUPER FRIENDLY:) just inform him that in one month ANYONE who calls looking for a locksmith will be told the following:)
I am sorry we are closing and no futher locksmith service will be available.. He will NOW have a great reason to fix the problem:) for anyone who calls during that 30 days tell them to tell the locksmith all callers will be told locksmith out of business
I had to do this for a previous owner of my 800 number, they were getting more calls than me and i was paying for all of them:)
That problem ended FAST:)
On 6/30/2013 1:25 PM, bob haller wrote:

Funny. Add my comment and it looks like locksmiths are an irresponsible lot ;)

We used to get Alaska Airlines calls due to a similar number. I took a call once and the caller asked my why him and his son had seats apart from each other and could they be changed. I told him no, the kid did not want to be seen traveling with him and asked for a different seat. He hung up on me.
Tell em the number is changed, and give out the other locksmith's number. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .