Digitally store a key

Locked out? This kiosk securely stores a digital copy of your key Devin Coldewey NBC News

We've all been locked out before, and it can be a huge pain to raise a locksmith at two in the morning or buzz a friend to let you into the building. But soon you may be able to walk to your local convenience store and get a new key cut just by scanning your thumb.

That's the plan of a new startup called KeyMe, which has created a Kiosk that not only duplicates keys on demand, but lets you store the key pattern digitally and associate it with your fingerprint.

So far there are five, hosted by 7-Eleven stores across Manhattan. You put your key in a keyhole, where it is analyzed. You can then have a new key cut for $3.49, or securely store your key data for later. It doesn't keep your address or name associated with the key data, just the short series of numbers that tells the machine what pattern to cut ? encrypted, of course.

That way, when you realize you lent your only front door key to a friend or left it at work, you just walk to the store on the corner, put your thumb on the scanner, and cough up the $20 for a fresh key. Yes, it's a lot more than the $3.49 you'd have paid for a spare to hide under the flower pot, but it's a lot less than you might pay for a visit from the emergency locksmith.

There are other key kiosks that quickly duplicate keys, but none that let you store the pattern securely like KeyMe does. The company's founder, Greg Marsh, hopes to expand throughout New York City and then move on to the rest of the country.

Being able to store/send a key digitally would seem more plausible if you could print a key with a 3D printer.

If your keys are locked in the car, you are still stuck without a way to get to a store. I am thinking as 3D printers get more affordable, you might get stuck in a place were you could get to a 3D printer. (Keys locked in the car at the hospital)

I already have a hidden house key that I have used more times than I can count. When I leave my car with a mechanic I always forget to take the house key. I even have one of those key rings that separate in two. One half for my truck and house key and the other half for my car.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Is it cheaper than putting an electronic lock on your door? Probably so, unless you lose keys often.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Hmmm, Usually, if I get locked out. I open garage door with outside digital keypad opener. Then there is a key hidden in the garage.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, What about battery running down on it? Is there manual over ride?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Typically, the "manual override" is the KEY. Also, every electronic lock that I've seen has a low battery warning that gives plenty of notice that the batteries need replacement.

Ergo, one would need the "perfect storm" of a) batteries expired in the electronic lock (through the user's fault) AND b) loss of the key.

I'm kinda liking the idea of this digital key stowage though... Imagine scanning ALL of your keys using a standardized encoding program, storing them in on your smart phone or ... in securely encrypted format. You lock yourself out of your car at the shopping center, find a hardware store that has the machine and go have a new key cut on the spot. Yeah, I know it won't start the car but it will let you in to retrieve your programmed/smart key that you absentmindedly left behind.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Same here. The key in the garage is also hidden, of course.

The digital idea is nifty though, as many people don't have a garage or other good hiding place. I can see it doing well in a densely copulated are with many apartments and town houses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

People should be aware that whenever you buy a new deadbolt or door lock, it will come with two keys, and the 5 digit number stamped on both keys will be the code for the key profile. You can take that 5 digit number to any locksmith that knows you, tell him what kind of key it is (Weiser, Schlage, Kwikset, Yale, etc.) and he can cut you a new key just knowing what kind of blank to use and that 5 digit profile code.

Similarily, if the locksmith has the necessary gauge, he can read the key profile code off of a key (provided the key is not too badly worn.

In my case, I've got the 5 digit profile codes for all the keys on my key chain documented and stored in a binder I keep for important information. I know that as I use my keys they will gradually wear down, and copying a worn key will only result in a new key with the same worn out profile. However, by providing the locksmith with the 5 digit key profile, he can cut you an original key in it's original condition for that lock.

Locksmiths aren't supposed to cut keys just from the 5 digit profile because anyone can read that profile code if you simply set your keys down somewhere. But, if they know you well, and they know you want that key cut for your OWN property, they will.

It's also a good idea to photocopy all of the ID and credit cards in your wallet, too. That way, if you lose your wallet or it gets stolen, you know exactly what is missing, and you can contact your financial institutions and have them freeze your accounts until you can open new accounts and get new credit cards with different account numbers.

Reply to
nestork

Now all they have to do is get your thumb print like they did on Mythbuster s.

Reply to
recyclebinned

personally the best addition here was my digital doorlock. its worked flawless for about 2 years. its so convenient.....

and no need go go anywhere to get a replacement key:)

I still have a doorlock key with me, but havent used it or over a year. i managed to lock myself out in my back yard, my front door electronc lock use the same key my backyard doors do..

i used the key rater than deal with opening a gate....

Reply to
bob haller

Some keys have the code. I can't remember seeing a code on Kwikset. Some Kwikky clones do have the code number stamped into the key.

One time I got a call from some folks, had lost the key to their car. We arranged for the relative back home to go to a copy shop, make a photo copy of the key and fax it. The shadow profile was enough information for me to make a working key.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

I have an electronic lock on the front door, a key pad for the garage and a hidden key for the back basement door. I haven't carried a house key in many years but I'm not worried about ever getting locked out.

My keychain holds nothing but an ignition key and key fob.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd be willing to wager a pretty hefty sum that the percentage of people that know a locksmith well enough to have a key made based on a "Hi Bob! Lost my house key. Can you make me a new one"? "Sure, Steve. What's the code?" basis is so small that the suggestion is barely worth mentioning.

It's good to know, but not practical for the vast majority of people.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do know a locksmith well enough, but that does not fix the problem. When my boss went to Austria, he took the car door key with him as it is on his chain. His wife decided to use the car (instead of hers) and take the fob to open the doors. Ignition key was different. She locked the car, went to a school function, came out and the fob would not work.

It took me over an hour to get the dealer (60 miles away) to call a local locksmith with the code. Had to prove I was authorized, etc.

Given all the electronics in the door, no one would take the chance of a slim jim.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Every now and then I get a call for a locksmith because an on-line business group put in my phone number for his. His last 4 digits are the same but the first three are different. I've sent email to the site, called the locksmith and faxed him to no avail. At first I wanted to help him and the callers but now its, tough shit.

Locked my keys in the car when I was 16. Ever since I've carried an extra key in my wallet.

Reply to
Frank

I believe the service offered by the company mentioned in the OP was for residential keys, but I see no reason why it couldn't be used for non-electronic cars keys.

My son lost the electronic key for his car and thought it was going to cost him $300+ for new key from the dealer. He called a locksmith who made him a new electronic key (after proof of ownership) by using the VIN. He charged him $150, $100 of which was covered by my AAA Plus plan. The locksmith also threw in a non-electronic key for free so he can at least get into the car if he locks the keys inside or loses them.

BTW...he didn't actually lose the electronic key. He knows where it is: at the bottom of the creek he was canoeing on. He put it in a tied down, watertight container in one of the canoes and closed it properly. He even checked it during one of their breaks. Sometime later somebody else opened the container, didn't close it properly and ended up flipping the canoe. He wasn't the only person that lost items. A bunch of people were pissed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

for the poster who get calls intended for a locksmith, call thelocksmith one last time:) Be SUPER FRIENDLY:) just inform him that in one month ANYONE who calls looking for a locksmith will be told the following:)

I am sorry we are closing and no futher locksmith service will be available.. He will NOW have a great reason to fix the problem:) for anyone who calls during that 30 days tell them to tell the locksmith all callers will be told locksmith out of business

I had to do this for a previous owner of my 800 number, they were getting more calls than me and i was paying for all of them:)

That problem ended FAST:)

Reply to
bob haller

Funny. Add my comment and it looks like locksmiths are an irresponsible lot ;)

Reply to
Frank

We used to get Alaska Airlines calls due to a similar number. I took a call once and the caller asked my why him and his son had seats apart from each other and could they be changed. I told him no, the kid did not want to be seen traveling with him and asked for a different seat. He hung up on me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And most people _think_ they have a good hiding place.

But most thieves already know where the "good hiding places" are.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

But I'm sure a large percentage of them don't care.

Reply to
Wes Groleau