digital tv

This is true... If a cable company does decide to go all digital though, they can broadcast locals in the clear (QAM), or they can issue converter boxes at no charge for the encrypted digital local signals. That's obviously expensive, so I suspect most will just leave locals as analog.

LOL!
Robert Neville wrote:

It is an FCC mandate that they carry the locals unencrypted so that you can use the QAM tuner on your TV to receive them.

Once every half hour on every Time Warner Cable channel I watch, they put up a commercial that EXPLICITLY says you do NOT need a converter box if you have Time Warner Cable connected to your TV. I don't know how much clearer they need to be, or could possibly be.