digital tv

Page 1 of 4
I have a older TV ,time Warner cable goes directly into the TV,no set up box,will I need a digital converter for it.If I call TW ,I know they probably tell me I will need one of there set up box so they can charge me a monthly fee.I don't trust TW.

Good question. From what I understand (I could be wrong), you won't need the cable box. I too have the TW cable running directly into my TV. I have a digital ready TV. However, with my digital ready TV I can get the local digital sub channels, which gives me a few more channels.
When I called TW to ask the same question you pose, the person I talked to didn't totally understand the question. They were confused that I didn't have a cable box and was still able to get the basic channels. After trying to explain it, it was apparent I was wasting my time, so I just ended the conversation with a "thank you".
A worse case scenario is that you'll have to get the converter box with your coupons. I would suggest you get it and hook it up. You may get a few more channels anyway.
I also bought an A/B switch from Walmart and hooked my old antenna into the cable . I can switch from cable to antenna rapidly if I need to.
Good luck finding an answer from someone at TW.
Hank <~~~playing "Wait N' See"

Comcast, here, is telling everyone no changes are needed. Also I understand that a converter box will not work with cable - only antenna. I suspect in time they will do away with all digital signals on cable making need for new TV's or rental of their box.
Frank wrote:

Comcast did try to pull a "we need to turn off analog because the government said so" in Chicago and knowledgeable people pointed out that it wasn't true. Only OTA analog must go away.
As you stated the (coupon) converter boxes are for OTA only. Cable operators do not use the same channel schemes on their systems.

Comcast, here, is telling everyone no changes are needed. Also I understand that a converter box will not work with cable - only antenna. I suspect in time they will do away with all digital signals on cable making need for new TV's or rental of their box.
======== At this time there is nothing needed for Comcast. I have cable directly into the TVs (old TVs) and the local stations ran tests to see if you lost your signal. If you did, you need the converter. It was fine, no change needed.
Cheri

No: it is more likely that cable TV companies will go all-digital (e.g. will no longer carry Canadian or Mexican TV stations that continue to broadcast analogue signals.) Mind you, existing (prepaid) equipment now lets cable TV retransmit analogue signals as digital.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

FWIW, I did not write what you quoted, Frank did. :-)
Cheri
"Cheri" wrote:

Incorrect information. Comcast, as of this morning, has pulled analog stations between 32 and 71. They say this is due to an "upgrade", and everyone needs to get a converter now.
Mind you, there are still a few stations in that range that are coming through, b ut the majority are now replaced by a message telling you to get the convertor box.
This is different from the information Comcrap tried to feed us last year, when they told us that we wouldn't need to change anything.
The up side to this is that when I called to cancel my cable TV service, they bent over backwards to keep me. As in cutting $35.00 off of my monthly bill, each month, for a year.
So, they basically bribed me to go with a digital TV box, which they are paying for. I let them.
Jon
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Here is the message they are putting out as of this morning (this is when watching TNT, and a number of other stations (History, AMC, et cetera):
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/606/comcrapij2.jpg
Jon
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:42:11 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

But this isn't the same digital device that I just bought, the one with the 40 dollar cooupon)??????

I wonder if they mean a cable box (not converter), as opposed to hooking directly to the TV? That would make sense.

Of course that's what they mean. You don't need the ATSC converters being provided with the $40 coupon for cable. Cable uses QAM for their digital channels. That QAM tuner can either be in the cable box, a cable card, or in the TV. If you use the one in the TV, you will only receive the basic channels that are not scrambled.
I'd be curious to know, what is on those channels that the msg come up on? Is it local stations or something else?

Try reading for comprehension.
Jon

Try reading what you posted. You said Comcast has pulled "analog stations" between 32 and 71. That is what lead to the confusion. They are not stations, which would imply that they were actual broadcast stations. They are cable channels. No need to start getting nasty.

No.
Notice they call it a "digital device" not a "converter box."
Converter box is for ANTENNA. Digital device is for CABLE.
You get the converter box with your coupon. The cable company provides the digital device.
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:01:12 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Thanks to you and Ed. Sometimes I need these things spelled out.

I was under hte impression that cable companies HAD to provide the channels with no converter box. MetroCast is telling us to hook out old TV's to the cable so no box is needed. Seems like Comcast is screwing people.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

I read somewhere (likely here) that they were only required to provide the OTA channels in analog. No validation of that, however.
It seems pretty hard to actually pin down reliable information right now. Comcast, last year, ran a commercial for a few months telling people that as long as they were on cable, they didn't have to do anything.
Of course, this was innaccurate information, as evidenced by my previous post. Whether they were aware of this information being innaccurate at the time I do now know, but I would be surprised if they didn't. You don't just "upgrade" your entire analog infrastucture to digital on a few month's notice.
If that is the case, then they are most certainly "screwing people".
Jon

As long as you don't mind renting a cable box for every tv and don't mind losing the ability to record anything unless you have their crappy DVR.
"AZ Nomad" wrote:

Exactly. They said, "cable subscribers don't need to do anything". Now they say, "cable subscribers need to get our digital device".
My suspicions are that they knew the first bit was bullshit, and only said it to lull people into a false sense of security so that they would not consider jumping ship.
Jon