Digital TV

Page 1 of 2
Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box converts the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality? Most likely connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive premium channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if there is one---. comcast has only one cable box. Frank

A cheap 20" tube tv won't have a digital tuner no matter how they hype it. They're probably pleased that it has a digital readout.
Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)
AZ Nomad wrote:

Sure it will, all TV's sold now are going to have a digital tuner because in Feb 09 the analog signal goes bye-bye.

If the CRT is flat and not convex they can call it "flat screen" because it is.
To the OP: Unless your TV offers a digital input (which I doubt since you said it was cheap) you're stuck with the configuration you have.
You can hook a set of rabbit-ears up to it and see the "hidden channels" that are broadcast over the air if you want to see what digital TV looks like (it's just an MPEG2 stream).
--

-G

together with the cheapest components available *now*.

They call it a "flat screen" to fool people into buying it thinking it is a flat panel TV like an LCD screen. "Flat Screen" was never marketing hype before flat panels were on the market.

No, flat screen CRTs appeared years ago, well before LCD screens were any sort of reasonable alternative to CRTs. Flat screen CRTs *were* different, and commanded a price premium over, non-flat CRTs. The standard Trinitron or equivalent slot-mask tube typically had a cylindrical face, while delta-gun CRTs typically had a somewhat spherical screen face.
(I'm typing this on a flat-screen CRT, a ViewSonic EF70).
    Dave
Dave Martindale wrote:

Well said, I am also using a flat screen CRT that is several years old, a ViewSonic E70fb.
Don
Back to my original question regarding connection between cable box and tube type(FLAT SCREEN TV) I find the cable box has red&white audio output jacks with yellow video. The TV has same for input. Would this work with TV set to video 1 or 2 input.How much better signal would I get if any? Last time this subject Frank

That will give you a better picture than the RF connector, as it bypasses the tuner circuits in the TV..

No better. Any time there's a junction in the wire, there's a loss of signal quality. (probably not noticeable though).
Try connecting the cable TV wire directly to the new TV. Most likely it can receive cable TV signals. Then send the set-top box back to the cable co. so they stop charging you monthly rent.

The red/white/yellow should give a noticably clearer picture.
Quality from best to worst...
- HDMI - DVI - red/white (or other audio connection) + DVI - VGA - DB15 (PC) - Component - red/white + blue/red/green - SVideo - red/white + 4pin - Composite - red/white/yellow - Coaxial (75ohm) - Cable TV cable - 300ohm antenna - baling wire - licorice whip

In this case, there would be a noticable improvement using the white/red/yellow connectors, as you would be eliminating the entire tuner of the TV set from the setup.

That might not be a good idea, as cable companies are rapidly forcing customers to give up their analog service and switch to digital. It won't matter at all that your TV has a digital tuner unless you use it for over the air broadcast reception. For any Cable or satellite provider, their proprietary converter box will be mandatory.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Use red/white/yellow if you use the cable box.
Reception of a direct broadcast digital signal (not old analog channel) via antenna should display as good a picture as R/W/Y (if antenna signal is strong enough so picture does not have some breakup).

I agree with Bob that direct cable connection to the TV may be best if the TV tunes to cable channels. (It won't get premium channels like HBO.) This should also be as good a picture as the R/W/Y cable box connection.
(Returning box - if the cable co. changes to digital you need a different converter box anyway.)
--
bud--

He wants to know how to connect his cable box to his TV.

He posted that one of his concerns is that if he connects the cable directly to the TV without the converter box he won't get his premium channels.

a problem with many cable companies is that they encrypt almost all digital channels.
The only channels my local cable company doesn't encrypt are those I can pull over the air.
Thanks to all . Found I can connect directly to TV but I can only receive basic service. Direct R Y W connection not much improvement,plus I must re- tune to Video imput on TV.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:40:45 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

Wow. Touchscreen has come a long way. I have to use a keyboard.

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

Not only that, but if there is a window or other lamp in the room, the flatter the screen the easier it is to turn the tv or to sit so that the light won't be reflected in the screen. With a convex screen, this can be impossible. (Of course that's all I have, and most places it's ok)

By chance I was at Target on Reisterstown Road just inside the Baltimore Beltway (there are two on that street) just two days ago, and looked at tv's. They had what they called a kitchen tv for 185 dollars iirc, about 8" screen. It was digital. Then I noticed a tv for even less, 145 maybe, with a much bigger screen. But there was a catch.

I don't know about the FCC but I was at Target two days ago, and they had at least two models that were not digital. The shelf-edge price sign for each had a paragraph on the right that was at least 40 words long that said that the tv would only work with cable and satellite after that date early next year.

something has changed or Target is ignoring the law. I doubt it is the third one because they went to a lot of trouble to print those signs, which were very nicely done, and they could have just not accepted those tv's in the first place.

The law says manufactured after "X" date. Old stock can still be sold.