Digital Thermostat Click

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Man..its pointless...if I was not in the trade, and just a homeowner, and gave that advice, it would have been treated like wow... But let someone that is in the trade, that might actually know what the hell he is talking about offer some time in here, and you get treated like a crimminal.. They are scared I might actually rip em off..for free...wow...isnt that amazing? And then they wonder why in the other group we bitch about em....screw it...its his system...he prob owns something like a Lexus and uses Quality Mart branded oil in it...LOL..and the filter? You mean its got to be changed??? Get the point? First he got screwed buying an overpriced Toyota, and then...GASP! You mean there is more to keep up on it? Those damn tires should have lasted another

4 years...and 200,000 miles. Then he goes to Sams Club or someplace and thinks that hes getting a deal, while he could have asked and found the same tire for less..but GOD HELP if someone from Firestone offers advice...then hes looking to get the biz... Screw it....let him figure it out.... I got an oil furnace down the road he can go work on too...hes so smurt!
Reply to
CBhvac

I read what you said and what CBhvac said about clicking being normal. That may be true but if there was much of a click I would hear it as mine is in the hall with a straight shot of about 12 feet to my ear. So after saying that my Honeywell doesn't click, I decided to check further. I put my ear about 1 inch from the thermostat and raised the desired temperature 4 degrees. The furnace came on. No click, no noise of any kind at the thermostat. My honeywell does not click! The diagram in the thermostat manual for hooking up the wires indicates that the wires from the thermostat go to a relay(s) that are not part of the thermostat.

Maybe I'm just lucky getting the Honeywell thermostat that I have. Personally, I would take back any electronic thermostat that made any noise for any reason other than programmed beeps.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have 3 Sears digital thermostats in my house all top rated by Consumer Reports many years ago. Don't know who makes them. They all have a slight click. I am very adverse to noise but they are not loud enuf to be annoying.

thermostat around

inside that's

replacement

Reply to
Art Begun

My parents house has a digital lux and it has a very slight click.

house

message

Total

Reply to
Art Begun

I bought a Robert Shaw at Ace and it crapped out after a few years. Meanwhile a Lux and 3 Sears (not sure who makes the Sears) have lasted much longer. All had a slight click. The RobertShaw was about $125. The others were about half that.

replacement

Clicking

equipment in

jade, or Lux

Honeywell but

Reply to
Art Begun

look, this is simple there are many different kinds of heating systems and they use different voltages. My thermostat doesn't click either but it only works with 12 volts. there are thermostats that work with 120V and a mechanical relay can drive more current than a transistor

Reply to
j j

The older Sears, since you didnt state when , or a model number, were made by either Robertshaw, or Honeywell for the most part. If you pull the front cover off, and there is a sticker still there that you can read, or a imprint, or a number, manytimes you can tell that way...

Reply to
CBhvac

This is Turtle.

first Art , Robert Shaw has nothing sold to the public worth $125.00 but maybe Ace thought it should be worth that. You can buy anything Robert Shaw will sell to the public from Ace or others for about $75.00 is the retail price of the best Ace can get from Robert Shaw. Robert Shaw sells a 5 day/ 2 day and a 7 day programiable thermostat for retail outlets like ace but the suggested retail on them is $75.00 + Tax. Now robert shaw does make some High end models like these for about $100.00 to $200.00 but robert Shaw will only sell to contractors and not the public. These require a little knownledge to put them in for they can be burnt up if your not careful there. they only sell the worm proof model to the public and the screwiable up models to contractor. They don't like to eat thermostats that are burnt up in the first day of service.

Secondly, If it clicks , It's not high end equipment , Period. Usely the $50.00 or less models all click $50.00 to $99.00 models will click but you got to listen to really hear it, and you hear no clicking at $100.00 or above on the Honeywell, White Rogers, or Robert Shaw.

Third, if you want a good high end thermostat , get you a Honeywell and get it over with.

Forth, Sears buys thermostat from the lowest bidder that year. It can be any brand on the market.

Fifth, Here is a list of the Good High end thermostats in the way of quality rating of mine.

Honeywell White Rogers . . Robert Shaw / Maple Chase -- their rating dropped when Maple chase bought them out. . . . . Lux / Lux Pro Jade . . . . . . . . . . . . Hunter

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Read my reply to Art.

Now about the Hunter Clicking here. If a Hunter did not click , i would think it maybe something wrong. A hunter is going to click but maybe not as loud as what you say.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I've installed a bunch of Lux 1500 (IIRC) units over the years and I've never seen one fail. I replaced the Honeywell in my home with a Lux. It's been works fine for almost five years now. YMMV.

The user interface of the Honeywell sucks big time. The Lux is much simpler and better.

That clearly is the fault of the manufacturer - no?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

This is Turtle.

JJ , we are talking about clicking and not voltages. We are talking about residentiual hvac system and the voltage are limited to 24 volts or less to control with. If it comes under commercial you can get the 120 volt thermostats / Line voltage thermostats. Most line voltage thermostats will click for they have heavy terminals to call for the 120 volts on the controls. The 24 volt thermostat don't need to click for there is maybe at most 1 amp of power to turn on.

Clicking on residentiual equipment has nothing to do with the voltage to choose operate at but more of the quality of the thermostat you have.

You have me on the 12 volt control of your system. i would like to know what type uses this 12 volts to control with. I know 250 mill-volts to 750 mill-volts , 24 volts, 120 volt, 220 volts, and 480 volt but 12 volts just gets by me here.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hmmm, let's see if I understand what you are saying. You are telling me that it's ok for one person to post his opinion, but it's not ok for someone else to post a counter opinion? Who appointed you the moderator of a.h.r? Oh, wait, there is no moderator.

Perhaps some day you will learn to take your own advice.

Reply to
C G

Mark up??

LOL

How about the (LUX) stat locking into the heat mode? (not turning the heat off)

Yep, that's a good stat........they are garbage..........

As far as the mark-up goes........try labor cost for replacing them......... ........go for it.......they make us money. :-)

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

Don't care what you use.... ...we make money on replacing them when they go bad. :-)

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

You are really clueless........

The thermidistat his installer suggested is a thermostat and a humidistat all in one. It's for comfort...........something you don't understand.

It controls several different things on the system as a whole.

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

If, you knew CB, he's not like that.............are you??

$300 every 3 months??

Damn man what kind of filter do you have? Most people need to replace their filter monthly. (unless they have a special media filter) But, even then it depends on the conditions.

"Apprenticeship"

Sorry that you are so damn CLUELESS!!

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

Actually, it seems you are.

So?

No, the heater and humidifier provide the comfort. The control is allegedly for the convenience of having everything in one place, at a rather high price. It seems you can't accept other people's financial priorities without resorting to insults.

At $450 it should wash the dishes and take care of the kids.

Reply to
C G

What on earth makes you think I would call someone as arrogant as you to do anything in my house?

Reply to
C G

There you go............I post just enough info for you to put your foot in your MOUTH!!

The thermidistat is for more than just putting the controls in one spot!!

It controls the temp and humid rather the unit needs to add any heat or not.

Most humidifiers add humidity only while the furnace is calling for heat.

Unlike the thermidistat that controls the whole environment. (read about one.........and try to learn something)