Digital Thermostat Click

Page 1 of 5
Greetings:
I have a Hunter Digital Thermostat [Set and Save 110], and the relay makes a "click" noise every time the unit calls for heat. Their help department tells me that this is a normal function of this unit.
Is this a standard operation of all digital thermostats? If not, I will be making a change. I have an office setup within 15 feet of the unit, and the sound can distracting. Suggestions on a good replacement would be appreciated - heat only, for hot water baseboards.
Thanks,
Dave
On 21 Dec 2003 03:21:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave Gallant) wrote:

Just stuff it full of cotton and cover the whole thermostat with duct tape.
Or else stuff your ears with cotton and wrap your whole head with duct tape.
Or both !!!!
my digital clicks
There are a few that use solid-state components to activate the HVAC equipment, and these may be described as having battery backup, but running on the voltage provided by the HVAC equipment. But most of the units are more universal in their design, so they work on the majority of control systems used on HVAC equipment.
Unfortunately, the best and most universal way to activate the HVAC equipment is with dry contacts, the kind that small relays have. Being an electro-mechanical device, when the contacts activate, there is some noise associated with that action. Some are noisier than others. The relays are small, the contacts are small, so to make a good connection they must really "snap" into position.
After a while, either you get used to it, or you move the thermostat around the corner to a room or space where you can't hear it anymore, and hope that the resulting temperature is still within your comfort zone.
The original Honeywell round thermostats use a mercury switch inside that's totally silent as it makes the connection, but this kind of unit is not digital and can't be programmed. I would not be surprised however to find that the Honeywell units are very quiet, if not silent, so it may be worth buying one and trying it out. If there's no improvement, or it's too noisy, you should be able to return it to the store where you purchased it.
Bob M.

You are right, there was no click with my digital Honeywell thermostat. Can't really imagine there would be one with any kind of electronic thermostat, wouldn't they all use a solid state switch. Why would anyone put the mechanical relay, if there is one, in the thermostat instead of at the furnace. There may be a click at my furnace but there is so much other noise when it start that you couldn't hear a click without having the furnace cover off. A mechanical relay in a digital thermostat sounds like a real design flaw.
"Bob M." wrote:

I have 3 Sears digital thermostats in my house all top rated by Consumer Reports many years ago. Don't know who makes them. They all have a slight click. I am very adverse to noise but they are not loud enuf to be annoying.

relay
help
of the

replacement
Hi George, hope you are having a nice day
On 21-Dec-03 At About 00:04:06, George E. Cawthon wrote to All Subject: Re: Digital Thermostat Click
GEC> You are right, there was no click with my digital Honeywell GEC> thermostat. Can't really imagine there would be one with any kind GEC> of electronic thermostat, wouldn't they all use a solid state GEC> switch. Why would anyone put the mechanical relay, if there is one, GEC> in the thermostat instead of at the furnace. There may be a click GEC> at my furnace but there is so much other noise when it start that GEC> you couldn't hear a click without having the furnace cover off. A GEC> mechanical relay in a digital thermostat sounds like a real design GEC> flaw.
There are several models with mechanical relays. there are several reasons for this. one is to make it compatible with millivolt systems. the other one is to keep the bleed through down which causes some unit circuit boards problem so it isn't a design flaw. it is a plus.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. Of course there's a God. What else explains Speedos?

Problem #1..Hunter and Lux, Cheapest of the Cheap. Garbage. Total complete, utter crap.
Yes, its normal for those to sound like a door being slammed shut.

Pretty much. Honeywell makes a few high end units that you cant just run out and buy that are fairly silent, but all use relays now of some sort...at least one on the board, and what you call distracting, most will not notice.

You might look at a Honeywell T8195 B 1009. It has setback provisions, a clock for allowing to setback the unit, and a fixed anticipator. It is also a mercury switch unit and is totally silent. It is very hard to locate outside of CA, but we use them all the time here in NC. Perhaps, one of the best mercury units other than the old T87F Honeywell, also known as The Round One.

snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com says...

Can you provide some more info? I have a Lux, and haven't had any problems with it (thus far). It's never made a noticeable click, to my knowledge.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:29:02 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

Yes that's it..Lux. I had a Lux which I actually loved and it worked great, BUT that click was annoying as my thermostat is in the hall right outside of my bedroom and I am a light sleeper. I actually did prefer the setup and ease of use of the Lux much better than the Honeywell I currently have.
My parents house has a digital lux and it has a very slight click.

Mark up??
LOL
How about the (LUX) stat locking into the heat mode? (not turning the heat off)
Yep, that's a good stat........they are garbage..........
As far as the mark-up goes........try labor cost for replacing them......... ........go for it.......they make us money. :-)
-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>
( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail
Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
George Wenzel wrote:

Don't worry much, that was just the rantings of a "pro" who has been conditioned to disparage anything a DIYer might use. It helps them protect their markups.

Perhaps. I just had a humidifier installed on my furnace, and the installer mentioned that they had a thermostat/humidistat made by Lennox that could control everything in one place. Thankfully they weren't at all pushy in recommending it - they only mentioned that it was available. I nearly crapped my pants when they said it cost $450CDN.
I think I'll stick with the $45CDN Lux that I bought at Home Depot. It seems to be working just fine for me. :-)
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
George Wenzel wrote:

And even if it dies in a couple years, you can replace it 9 times before you get to the price of that wonderstat recommended by your installer.
says...

available.
You are really clueless........
The thermidistat his installer suggested is a thermostat and a humidistat all in one. It's for comfort...........something you don't understand.
It controls several different things on the system as a whole.
-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>
( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail
Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
kjpro wrote:

Actually, it seems you are.

So?
No, the heater and humidifier provide the comfort. The control is allegedly for the convenience of having everything in one place, at a rather high price. It seems you can't accept other people's financial priorities without resorting to insults.

At $450 it should wash the dishes and take care of the kids.
says...

been
Lennox
at
It
before
humidistat
There you go............I post just enough info for you to put your foot in your MOUTH!!
The thermidistat is for more than just putting the controls in one spot!!
It controls the temp and humid rather the unit needs to add any heat or not.
Most humidifiers add humidity only while the furnace is calling for heat.
Unlike the thermidistat that controls the whole environment. (read about one.........and try to learn something)
( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail
Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!
kjpro wrote:

Not really.

Yes, it also provides an opportunity for "pros" to gouge unsuspecting customers.

Did you get this from a marketing manual?

And most of the time that is more than adequate.