Digital Replacements for Fried TVs and VCR

Page 3 of 3

That's quite a deal you got on Ebay! I would not have thought it possible. Tivo was selling the Premier for $300 a year ago. I got $100 off, because I already owned one Tivo, but the whole thing still wound up costing me about $500 with lifetime service.
I just looked at the Tivo website and they are now selling the Premier for $99, which is a great price.
So, for $400 the OP could have a Tivo with lifetime service, which could start to compare favorably with other options for his use. Remaining things to watch out for would be:
A - I've heard the newer ones require a subscription to work even as a dumb recorder. Not sure about that.
B - The Premier requires an ethernet connection which it uses to get the schedules, software updates, etc.
On 1/19/2012 5:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

True, they're boat-anchors. When I find 'em at garage sales for a buck, I buy 'em for the hard drive and scrap the rest.

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 05:10:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

If it's replacing a dumb VCR as a time/channel machine...

I haven't had a "cable" box last 3-4 years. We're on the sixth Dish DVR in six months (SWMBO finally told them to get someone's ass out there to fix it or they were going to wear it in an uncomfortable place, along with the service).