Digital Converter, Splitter .... Enough To Drive Ya Crazy

Digital converter for downstairs TV has always worked great, but the one upstairs worked sporadically. It would often fail to "grab" the digital signals. Get a different model for upstairs = same problem.
TV guy replaced the splitter which is physically located downstairs. As soon as he left ... same problem.
To make a long story short ....
If the plug that powers the downstairs TV and converter is pulled from the wall socket, the TV upstairs works sporadically.
If the upstairs plug is pulled from the wall socket, no problem. The TV downstairs continues to work.
If both plugs are in the wall, upstairs TV works great.
SOLUTION: If you want to watch the TV upstairs, make sure that the power plug downstairs is not unconnected. Keep it in the wall socket.
Wish someone would 'splain why.
Clueless And In A Fog wrote:

I'd venture a problem with the upstairs neutral. Try (with a 3-wire extension cord) other plugs.

Pls forgive my ignorance, but what is a "neutral"? Are you saying that the surge protector whose plug goes into the wall is flawed?
Clueless And In A Fog wrote:

No, I'm guessing your upstairs socket is miswired. Heck, maybe the whole house is miswired since you have an external ground involved (your cable is grounded externally).
For less than $5.00 you can buy an outlet tester at Home Depot or equivalent; you plug it in, it lights up, you read the lights.
Windswept@Home (Clueless And In A Fog) wrote in

today's wiring;3 wires,black(hot),white(neutral) and green(ground)
It's possible for an outlet to have the black/white wires reversed,or even the white/green. you would not realize it with today's double insulated or floating chassis appliances.But it stil creates a safety hazard.
there are outlet test plugs with LEDs to indicate errors or correct polarization.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Clueless And In A Fog wrote:

Double negative, bad form.

Explain why you would regularly unplug them in the first place.
--

-G

Eliminate Googletards - http://www.improve-usenet.org /

Windswept@Home (Clueless And In A Fog) wrote in

I wonder if your outlets are polarized(wired) properly. there's a test plug you can buy that tells you if your outlets are wired correctly.it has IIRC,3 LEDs,checks polarization and ground.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It sounds as though you might have an electrical problem. Get two long extension cords and connect them to each box. Then plug the extension cords into electrical receptacles that are on different circuits than the receptacles you are currently using. See what happens. If the problem goes away, call an electrician.
Clueless And In A Fog wrote:

Many people have theorized that there may be a problem with the house wiring, but is the splitter and/or converter an active electronic component that requires power? That could 'splain why the upstairs TV doesn't get a good signal when the downstairs components don't have power.
Clueless And In A Fog wrote:

I just thought that maybe when you say "plug is pulled", etc. do you mean the AC power to the set or do you mean the coax antenna lead? I'm guess that you might mean the later. If so, when an antenna lead is disconnected from the splitter, it (the splitter side) should be terminated with a 75 ohm termination. No termination, you then get reflections that could get back to the other set. In a digital world this could be bad. In an analog world, it might be a little ghost .... maybe not even visible.