Digging out crawl space - Power tools?

Page 2 of 3

You must drink cheap beer. The last three words I don't recognize. ;)
replying to Jim Elbrecht, G.Dub wrote:

I am completely with you Jim. I'd rather do some jobs with muscle and time... I call it no-brain (needed) work... let's my mind think about important things, feel the satisfaction of progress every day, get exercise, and save my nickels.
Here's how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LilGiantsConstrCo

Hire some willing young diggers.......... or do it yourself..... Using a homeade built box.......4 inch high walls and plywood bottom with eye hook and rope. One works inside and one pulls box out and empties..... cut shovel handle to 12 inches........ small pick dust mask coveralls. good lighting helps knee pads gloves.......

Giganews Berlin area poster,
The tools needed, by hand and power, depend on the type of ground you're intending to dig.
--
Dave

How about a tax to support any military conflict/police action over 3 months

If its hard pack dirt rent a demolition hammer with a spade bit to get everything loose fast.
Bill wrote:

Depends on how much you want to spend on rental vs. how much back breaking work you want to do, as well as how much rock there is in the mix. You can rent a towable vacuum excavator from places like United Rentals that will do the job in a day if you don't have big rocks to deal with. These units will suck up ~500 gal worth of dirt at a time between dumps.

check the depth of your footings. you don't want to undermine them.

A friend of mine turned his crawlspace into a basement using dynamite...
Nick
sometime in the recent past snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu posted this:

--
Wilson N45 W67

Bill, I am working on my crawl space. Going for 42" depth so I can move around and fix plumbing, insulation, HVAC ducts etc. I do have a Bosch demo hammer but have not had to use it much. I dug a deep ramp with my Kubota alongside the foundation. I opened up the foundation, just like you had. Got some "flexible" conveyors on Craigslist. These expand from 7 feet long to 35 feet and can snake around obstacles. Bought eight 27 gallon plastic totes.
Starting out was difficult for the first few feet. Now I simply sit on a stool, use a full length spade and one foot to dig horizontally into the bank, fill the 8 totes and send them out on the conveyor. My biggest problem, due to age, is getting the totes out from under the house and not the digging. Of course the conveyor takes care of all that. I simply give the string of 8 totes a push and they fly out from under and even empty themselves. After each group of 8 totes I do have to get out from under (I can walk bent over in 42" space) and collect the empty totes. After about 10 round trips I remove all the excess dumpings with my Kubota and lose it on my 4 acres.
While my dirt (bottom 2 feet) is quite stiff, I stopped using the Bosch hammer. Taking a horizontal slice against a vertical bank (the slice is only about 2 inches deep) while sitting down, is very easy. You would be surprised how much force you can exert with a sharp spade, push of the foot and a little wiggling.
Write me if you need any more info.
And yes, as many of the replies stated, I have quit going to the gym.
Ivan Vegvary
-snip-

-snip-
What? You can't throw 27 gallons of dirt around? <BG> I hope you meant 27 quarts- or I'm feeling even whimpier than when I started going for 3 gallons instead of 5. [though I'm carrying mine up a flight of stairs- of course that's 3 gallons in each hand.<g>]
-snip-

Those little machines are handy. I had my brother-in-law's Kubota for a few weeks a couple years ago. Sure speeds up the process.

*Sharp* spade is a good point. I've got a great little short handled landscaping spade that is serrated, even. Though it doesn't help much in my clay. You can peel about 1/4 inch off- but any more and it is spade bit time. [till I get to the wet spots- but that's a whole nother headache.]
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The vacuum excavators I noted in my other post would make the process much faster and easier. Just put the suction hose where you want to dig and start jabbing that area with the air lance. After sucking out some 500 gal of dirt, take a break to dump the vacuum container and then go at it again.

I've used my shop vac to clean out trenches for water pipe, and to remove the loose soil at the bottom of an augered hole. Works quite well.

I used mine to clean out footing holes (had to be 5 ft, and my post hole digger was not up to bringing the dirt up that high... Mostly sandy soil however, and was a lot of work regardless. Didn't take long to fill that sucker up!

Hey Jim, You caught me!! Of course I meant 27 quart containers. Good eye!!!!
Ivan Vegvary

Ivan-
I remember your post form last year.
How much dirt have you removed and how long as it taken?
I think you estimated about 2 hrs per cubic yard removed.
For my engineering data base... close were our numbers?
cheers Bob
Bill wrote:

Find a badger and pen him up down there a while... :)

after you limber up a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM#tr

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:44:02 +0000, G.Dub

In front of my house, someone needs to jackhammer out a piece of blacktop 6 feet long by 4 inches thick, by 4 inches wide, I think that would be good exercise but the only time I used an electric jackhammer, I was tired in 30 seconds.
Do you think I can do this myself? In a full day's rental time?
Or can I rent a saw that does this?