Digging a hole in frozen ground

I loved to dig as a boy in Vermont, but I gave up in frost. It's an interesting problem. The best solution may depend on the type of soil, its temperature, and how much ice it contains. In Korea, soldiers sometimes used explosives, sometimes fires, and sometimes an assortment of hand tools.

Thawing will stop when the surrounding ground draws heat away as fast as you apply it. I think very cold ground and ashes might even stop thawing from a fire.

Others have recommended light bulbs. That sounds simple and pretty safe. Most of the heat from a bulb is radiant, so lining the box with aluminum foil would reflect more heat to the soil. I'd use several hundred-watt bulbs with porcelain sockets and wire with high-temperature insulation. A little ventilation may be necessary to keep the electrical stuff from overheating.

A professional solution is a trailer-mounted boiler with hoses to circulate water between the boiler and the hole. One could use a stove, two pots of water, and a big syringe or pump to draw water from the hole for reheating. An infrared thermometer would make it easy to monitor the temperature of the water in the hole.

Reply to
Doghouse

If you're going to rent equipment, just use a drilling rig. or a ditch-witch. There's no point in using finesse when raw power will do.

But still, we're talking three postholes/footings, not the Comstock.

Reply to
Goedjn

Option 1. Electric jackhammer rental. It works on concrete. Should work on frozen dirt.

Option 2. Pickaxe and power posthole auger.

Option 3. Rock bar, San Angelo bar, etc. 72" long, 1" diameter steel. chisel or pointed end. I drive them with a 50# T-post driver made from drill stem.

Option 4. Steam cleaner (watch out for the hot mud)

Option 5. Tractor with auger driven from a 3-point frame on the back

Reply to
IBM5081

When I was in Girl Scouts, we used to do pothole cooking. Dig hole, build wood fire, wait till it had good hot coals. Then we put in packages of food wrapped in foil, covered that with wet leaves and then dirt. Kept it buried a coupld of hours and then feasted.

You could do something similar with charcoal, it seems. Get some good hot coals going, cover with wet leaves or straw, wait a couple of hours. Doesn't seem the ground can be frozen very far down yet, and this method would keep most of the heat on the hole.

Reply to
Norminn

The boiler trailer shows that the principle works for big excavations. For postholes I already have a stove, two pots, and a big syringe.

Reply to
Doghouse

I’m curious about how to cook a ground wasp nest

Reply to
Uplatestampin