Difficult to replace a D/W heater element???

I have a 6 year old Kenmore Elite dishwasher (Model 665.15979992) that I think needs a new heater element. During the wash cycle yesterday it smelled like something was burning inside. After looking inside, the bottom of the tub was clear of any dishes/cups that could have come in contact with the heater element. I did see a 2 inch long black spot on the back left section of the element.
Am I safe in assuming that the element is bad? If so, is it a relatively easy repair?
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.
I have a 6 year old Kenmore Elite dishwasher (Model 665.15979992) that I think needs a new heater element. During the wash cycle yesterday it smelled like something was burning inside. After looking inside, the bottom of the tub was clear of any dishes/cups that could have come in contact with the heater element. I did see a 2 inch long black spot on the back left section of the element.
Am I safe in assuming that the element is bad? If so, is it a relatively easy repair?
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.

May, or may not be. Could something have gotten on the element and burned of? Like a plastic lid? I'd run another cycle to see if it was the motor or a solenoid causing the odor.
I don' tknow off hand how it is replaced, but try www.applianceaid.com or www.repairclinic.com and you may find what you need.

Yeah. Or it may be the heater but maybe won't do it again. Anything is possible.
I replaced the pump on my washing machine, then tore the old one apart. coldn't find anything wrong.
Now I think I just had a kink in the drain hose. Darn.