differentiate vinyl and felt backing?

For vinyl sheet flooring, is there any way to tell if I have a felt backing (requiring a full glue) or a vinyl backing (requiring just a perimeter glue)?
The sheet is new, completely unmarked, and very inexpensive stuff. Backing almost seems like paper. Retailer told me to do full glue, but didn't seem very confident about that. But the existing floor (identical floor material, very likely from the same store) had used just a perimeter glue. This seemed to work just fine, and it made tearoff a snap. I am replacing the floor now only because of water damage from a unnoticed toilet leak.
Thanks! -Kevin