Different Types of Wood

I am currently looking at purchasing 2 Adirondack chairs - they will be kept outside during the year, covered during the winter. We live in NJ and experience all 4 seasons here.
I plan to purchase natural wood - so far, I've seen the following:
Kiln dried Spruce Kilnn dried Fir Oak treated with linseed oil Red Cedar Mahogony
Pricing seems to be dependant upon which wood is used - the list is least expensive to most. Can anyone provide me with info as to how each of these woods, left in their natural state (except the Oak) will do in an outside environment?
TIA, Sandy K.

Is that red or white oak? White is good for outdoors, red is not.
The spruce and fir will deteriorate the fastest, especially if it is in contact with dirt. White oak and cedar are about tied for next, mahogany best. You did not mention cypress or Spanish cedar, but they are good outdoors also.
In any case, I'd not use linseed oil. There are oils, such as made by Penofin that are vastly better for preserving wood. I just bought a gallon of Penofin and it was about $38. Excellent stuff though. I used it on some mahogany and it still looks like new after a couple of years.
Teak would be best, it is the wood you will find on quality boats. It is easy to renew or let go grey. It will cost the most but will outlast the others by far.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:56:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) scribbled this interesting note:

Or if you are tooled up for it, Ipe might be a good choice, but be ready to go through some saw blades as this stuff isn't called Ironwood for nothing!
Even Bois d'Arc might work for this application, but there, again, buy lots of extra blades.

Spruce and Fir are out as far as untreated outdoor durability goes. Linseed oil is considered a delicacy for mildew spores in my neck of the woods - the oak treated this way will likely turn a lovely shade of black in short order.
Cedar (western red) will do fine, as will the mahogany - with the mahogany probably being a little less likely to leave splinters in your behind.

I have no experience with Mahogany. Otherwise I think this is a classic example of you get what you pay for.
To answer your question, the spruce and fir will rot away in a few years. They are both soft woods and in a damp location can rot away in as little as 3 years.
The oak should last longer and the red cedar should "gray out" and last. I would think the oak and cedar should last about the same amount of time. The oak is a harder wood. Cedar is a softer wood. The cedar has some natural protection. The cedar should outlast the oak but I have had oak last a long time. To some degree the environment (shady, sunny, damp, well drained) will be more of a factor when choosing between the oak and cedar. Damp or shady space go with the cedar. The first rot points on either will be the legs and the extent will be based on the environment.
I hope this helped. Please remember they are just opinions based on limited personal experiences.
Colbyt
WHITE oak is often suggested for outside but not RED oak.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:46:56 -0400, "Colbyt"

Teak or Ipe would probably be my first choices. Teak unfortunately is ungodly priced and the plantation grown stuff (which is pretty much all you can get now) is not as decay resistant as the old growth stuff. Ipe is a pretty solid contender but hard to work and honestly, I can't find the stuff anywhere near where I live (NM). Of your other choices, white oak is pretty good although it will stain from water pretty easily. The tanins in it turn a dark gray color particularly around screws and such (basically where water enters). Western Red Cedar is pretty good but I find it to be a bit soft and light for my tastes when it comes to furniture. For planters, it can't be beat (ok, maybe cypress beats it). I'm embarking on building a patio table and chairs soon and have decided to use mahogany. If you go this route, get the "Honduras" or "American" (same stuff) mahogany as the African varieties do not resist decay as well. You may also consider insect resistance. I'm not sure where you live but termites are a constant concern here. The mahogany does an ok job against pests but I think cedar or Ipe would do better. Cheers, cc

Sandy K. wrote:

Don't forget redwood.
http://www.clarksoutdoorchairs.com
They have links that compare species for the woods they use.
http://www.sjawoodesign.com/ipe.html
Cheaper to buy em
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?
The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.
MUADIB wrote:

....except they don't ship them and are only availabe for delivery within 50 miles of St. Louis. OP is in NJ.
Nice chairs though. Must be heavy sumanabiches.

This was just an example, but I didn't read the page I pulled that time. I appreciate you pointing that out. I have looked at many, many different sites about this wood and the existing furniture available. These were the first "furniture" I pulled up. OOps!
This is one of the least expensive sites also. That might account for the won;t ship thing.
I have seen the same design (or ones very similar) for a lot more also. Shipped anywhere, and have even seen kits for sale. I have seen them with Brass hinges, and brass leg ends (feet I suppose) wooden wheels, aluminum wheels on the chaise loungers...........lots of differnet features.
I stand by my original post though,.............It could be a lot cheaper to just purchase them. However I would enjoy building them too if I had the shop/tools for such a project.
Good luck.