Different Question Concerning Double Pane Windows

I have an aluminum frame double hung 20 year old, double pane window made by Kaiserhof, a small company here in Houston, Texas that is no longer in business. The tag on the window reads: Series K-100, MST 3'8" by 5'0", Spec-DH-R35, Code 103-1, ETL Sponsored. The movable lower window unit is broken on the outside and is held together with vinyl stops on the outside and window tape on the inside.

Is it possible to separate the outer broken glass by cutting the seal between the two panes of glass, replace the outer glass with one of the same thickness, And then reseal the unit and reinstall it?

I'm not concerned about window fogging and I suppose that makes this a little different than most post I've googled on this subject. This really doesn't bother me much. I can always drill a hole in the upper and lower corners between the windows and shoot some inert gas in there and seal the holes up. I have the glass sheet handy in the garage and I am off work for a few days so I have the time on my hands. Would it be possible to seperate the panes with a small cutting wheel? I have no clue of what the seal consist of. If I can answer this then the rest of the job seems rather straight forward.

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Glen Cooper

probably easier to replace sealed glass unit, most areas you take it in to store and they make a new sealed unit in a day.

cutting unit apart will be very difficult and probably not worth the effort

Reply to
hallerb

I was afraid of that. It's a shame because I have glass already and plenty of cutting wheels and time on my hands.

Thanks again

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I have these same windows and can't find how to open the top "sash" to clean. I can open and close the bottom one, but can't figure out the top one. The only way to move the windows (that I can tell) is by using the 2 slide in features on the bottom of each window pane. All the videos I see have a toggle opening in the middle of the sash that helps open it. Any ideas??

Reply to
Christy

Probably single-hung. I didn't realize mine were. The bottom sashes tilt in for easy cleaning but the tops don't move at all. :-(

Reply to
krw

Original Message is 7 years old. posted on Homeownershub site September 29, 2006, 6:31 pm

Reply to
willshak

Saw that but I don't assume Usenet poster know what they're talking about (see: Malformed).

Do you really think that's possible?

Reply to
krw