different paint textures

Hi, I just patched a couple of holes in a drywall, the new paint matched perfectly colorwise, but the texture is a bit different. Looks like the old one might be oil-based paint (more shiny) and the new one is more matte. My question is: is there any product out there to apply a oil-like layer of coating? Something like hairspray :) ?
Spray lacquer/polyurethane might do it. But proly will require a lot of practice/technique to pull it off.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

More matte because it sinks into the patching compound. Smoother because surrounding paint applied with a roller. Try a couple more coats and hit it with a damp sponge, or put it on with a piece of sponge, to get some texture on it. Doesn't sink in as much if you prime first.