difference between above/below ground pool pump

Who knows the difference between an above ground vs below ground pool pump? Yes, I know that for a above ground pump, the water must be above the pump. However, if I have an above ground pump [bought by accident], is there any way I can get it to work on a below ground pool? How about filling the tube with water? Will that work?

Lift No a above ground pump design doesn't lend to lifting water to any height Must be below water level they have very little suction they push water A lift of only 1' -2' will cut output and they are not self-priming. will reduce per-
Does anyone know how to make the lift calculations for a motor for a below ground pool? I have another 1.5 HP engine attached to 2" pipes. I am getting about 5 ft of lift i.e. (11 kg) ~ 25 lbs. ( I see this because my original motor was able to drop the water level by about 5 ft before giving up) Is this consistent with your observations for comparable equipment? The specs are at http://deodiaus.tripod.com/pump.htm Does anyone know any references to sites which discuss the topic of how much lift one gets?