Diesel generator, 2 questions

while its spinning , give it a squirt of areosol stuff , works here in the cold , but then I dont have snow to contend with , so my cold may be radicaly different to your cold . If you got extreme cold , you may want to look at an addative to keep the diesel thin in winter .

You can extend the exhaust and add a car muffler or two , that'll shut the exhaust noise up good , being diesel , itll still be a bit mechanicaly noisy , diesels just are . Be aware of where the exhaust goes , diesel exhaust seems to sit there , and just get thicker till it gets unbreathable . You can always consider bio-diesel , or straigh vege oil for a more lung friendly exhaust , hell , even mixing cooking oil withyour diesel will reduce the particluate and improve the smell of the exhaust , making it less noticable what youre up to anyway .

Take a look at

for how simple it realy is .

Reply to
Myal

How much do you use to get that effect ?

Reply to
Myal

I built mine from a double layer of wooden fence sealed to the ground at the bottom. In an effort to make the thing hurricane resistant, I built in enough mass to give pretty good soundproofing. I have a very tight fitting door, an inlet air grate, and a peaked roof with open gables to let out the heat and exhaust fumes. The generator (Onan) has an internal blower that sucks air from the inlet grate. The generator sits on a concrete pad. The noise attenuation turns out to be very good with just a low rumble escaping into my neighbor's yard. The worst noise escapes through the air inlet which happens to be pointed at my own house. I may soon retire the Onan for a Honda, and may have to put an electric automotive radiator fan at the air inlet grate to substitute for the blower that is built in to the Onan.

My starting battery (actually a bank of 4 deep discharge batteries) is also the battery for my modest 100W. PV system. Kills two birds with one stone.

Vaughn

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

What kind of fence was that?

Thanks!

Ignoramus13667

I used common (at least in Florida) pressure-treated wood, 6' high, picket fencing. After installation; I nailed a second layer of pickets on the fence, offset so that they covered all of the original cracks between the first layer of pickets. (They sell loose picket boards) I did not actually allow the fencing to touch the dirt (that will reduce the fence's lifetime) , but placed cheap landscape timbers at the bottom to beef up the structure and seal the noise in. Because it want the thing to withstand a hurricane (as it did only two weeks ago) I used 4X6 PT lumber for fence poles rather than the 4X4 (actually 3X3) things that are more typically used.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

I don't see how starting fluid sprayed into the air intake would wash the oil off cylinder walls. It's a combination of gases and some lubricant. The spray will be further diluted by the air going into the engine at the same time. There just wouldn't be enough actual liquid to do much washing. A good share of the diesel farm tractors I've seen come equipped with starting fluid aided start. The operator pushes a button to let the starting fluid into the intake manifold. It shouldn't be a problem if one is careful. Won't the cylinder walls get relubed somewhat as the engine is cranked during starting attempts? Wouldn't it take a massive amount of starting fluid to wash cold oil off cylinder walls? You should've seen the tractor mechanics start a cold tractor where I worked. They weren't shy about using the starting fluid. And no, they did not get commission on parts sales. Their main worry was overworking the starters if the engines wouldn't fire up in reasonable time. Some other tractors I've seen come equipped with the glow plugs someone else mentioned.

The key word is temporarily, as in just long enough to start the engine.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Probably, but who's going to listen/respond to their complaints? And as pointed out later in this thread, sharing the electricity goes a long way to friendly neighbor relations (until they abuse your gesture.)

Reply to
Robert Morein

I have no idea. The only thing I used ether for was cleaning around tears in my tarps so I could have a clean surface to stick the duct tape on.

Ether makes a great solvent. Spray some on some grease and watch the grease melt.

The EPA you annoy is your problem though.

Reply to