diesel exhaust fluid

Page 4 of 4

So I take it that the urea solution is being used in a lot of diesels. I was aware that Mercedes was using it in their Bluetec diesel cars, at least to meet the requirements of CA and states with similar tougher requirements. Is it now being used in new trucks, 18 wheelers too? The fact that Pilot has the urea would suggest it is.

So I take it that the urea solution is being used in a lot of diesels. I was aware that Mercedes was using it in their Bluetec diesel cars, at least to meet the requirements of CA and states with similar tougher requirements. Is it now being used in new trucks, 18 wheelers too? The fact that Pilot has the urea would suggest it is.
That is my understanding. Every over the road vehicle as of 2010 has to meet emissions standards, which I think they call tier 3.5. It is also my understanding that many, most, diesel manufacturers are opting to use the Def method, although I don't believe Cummins is among them
RBM wrote:

Urea has been used in heavy duty OTR diesels for some time now. It only came into use in light-medium duty diesel in the last year or so.

From what I've read, Cummins will be going that way in another year or so with the next step of emissions regs.