Did you know this about The Gas Company?

Page 3 of 4
On Oct 10, 7:33am, "Stormin Mormon"

I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench, how many can find it when they need it......
.
A very few people put the wrench next to the gas meter. But, those folks usually have a crescent or pipe wrench.
The rest of folks can't find the special wrench.
I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench, how many can find it when they need it......
.

I have a cheap wrench tied to the pipe with a small-link chain right next to the valve. The chain is long enough for the wench to be used and big enough not to be easily removed.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 07:29:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

If you have a brass valve, a steel wrench is fine. 99.999% of the time steel on steel is also OK.
On 10/10/2012 07:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I use an Allen wrench.
--
Learn more about Mitt at:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/2011/october/romney.html
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1
It's a safety thing, not a scam to charge you for turning it off.
On Oct 8, 1:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

cheers Bob
On Oct 8, 9:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Weird. The recommendation here is that if you smell gas, shut off the gas, open the windows, don't operate electrical appliances and call the gas company. I can't imagine it being different anywhere else.
A danger is that air might get into the pipes so they need to be purged before turning back on.
Virtually no appliances here have pilot lights any more.
Lots of people turn off the gas, water and electricity when they go away/vacation.
harry wrote:

Call from a cell phone OUTSIDE or the neighbor's home. Phone line voltage *can* produce a spark in rare circumstances just by lifting the receiver.
On 10/9/2012 10:02 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

It would have to be a very old phone that weighs a ton to have open mechanical contacts on the handset hook switch. I'd be more worried about static electric discharge from your hand to something like a metal door knob. I've seen some nice big sparks and I would often spray fabric softener on the carpets back in the old days when computer gear was more susceptible to static electricity discharge. Oh yea, be sure to flip the light switch on your way out the door. We must conserve energy. O_o
TDD
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 02:46:32 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Some (old?) light switfches make sparks, don't they? I've heard of somone polyurethaning his wood floor and causing an explosion with the lightswitch.

On 10/10/2012 8:37 AM, micky wrote:

You did realize that I was being fecesious{sic] about the light switch. ^_^
TDD
TDD
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:42:53 -0500, The Daring Dufas

No, I didn't get it. :-(
I used to pronounce that word facetishus, in my head without ever speaking it, but then a guy in the 10th grade used it over and over again, and one day it dawned on me which word he was using.

On 10/13/2012 2:31 AM, micky wrote:

I was playing with the word "facetious" by adding "feces" to it. You'd be surprised how many folks don't catch it even with "sic" after the word. It's my way of saying I'm being silly and full of crap at the same time. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Check out a freeware bit called "TinySpell".
On 10/13/2012 10:51 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I use WordWeb which can be found at:
http://wordweb.info/free /
WordWeb also has a definition of "sic" and a good explanation can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Cute. Thanks for the information.
TinySpell and WordWeb do different things. TinySpell monitors your typing and goes nuts when you type a word that's not in its table. TinySpell doesn't define words, just checks spelling. It's a spelling chequer.
On 10/15/2012 9:20 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird for Usenet and it has a built in spell checker to help keep me from looking like an illiterate goober. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:48:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

California, unless its an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter? Around here, Baltimore, if they turn off your electricity for any reason, you have to be home when they turn it back on. Apparently someone's house burnt down once, or something.
If the gas man says it was off and you say it was on, they will believe their gas man who, one assumes, has no reason to lie, and you'll have to sue for the money. OTOH the odds he will come by, even in a day, are about 30 to 1 if he reads the meter once a month. Say 25 days, so it's like a 25 dollar bet with 25 to 1 odds or better in your favor.
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:48:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter? Here in Ontario Canada, Union Gas "requests" that you call them before you turn the gas back on if you have turned it off, and they will generally not turn it back on without access to the house. However, you CAN turn it back on yourself - you do want to be sure you know how to handle the pilot lights etc -"wild" pilots are no longer allowed, so the chance of an unlit pilot causing a safety issue are extremely remote today.
If you are not a licenced gas fitter and you do any line work, installation, etc, you are supposed to call for an inspection.
Last one I did (connected piping for gas BarBQ outside this summer) there was no charge for the inspection.