Did you know this about The Gas Company?

As I understand it Section 192 is a part of Title 49 of CFR (Code of Federal Regulations). Looks like the same nanny is in your house too.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Just a minor rant.

It would be a lot easier to follow this thread if you wouldn't snip all of the relevant parts of the previous post.

Rant over.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

True.

Rant over.

Reply to
micky

I'd be real surprised if that clause re: residential shutoff is in Title

49 and didn't read the whole list carefully enough to see what else is in the references but it surely is not obvious w/o more than just that reference the proscription is really there--wouldn't be first time somebody has made up something to suit themselves and blamed it on bureaucracy on the almost certain knowledge they'll never get called on it. :)

I've never seen/heard of not shutting off gas if needed being only a utility function here, certainly...of course, we're on a tap off a major pipeline(+) not on a municipal distribution system but never heard anybody in town mention such a thing, either.

(+) Grandfather made it part of condition for the lease/right-of-way when original line constructed across the homeplace. Back then they didn't much care; now it might be tough to win on I don't know.

--

Reply to
dpb

Harbor Freight used to have item 94310, I have one. Gas shut off wrench. Good idea to have one near the meter, but they are no longer for sale.

Ebay to the rescue:

Or, you can save your life! With the made in USA tool:
.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In my area, there is always a valve ahead of the meter and another just past it on the customer side. The gas company has a seal on the valve ahead of the meter and a tag that says it's for their use only. The other valve, after the meter, is for the consumer's use.

Reply to
Larry W

California, unless it?s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter? Here in Ontario Canada, Union Gas "requests" that you call them before you turn the gas back on if you have turned it off, and they will generally not turn it back on without access to the house. However, you CAN turn it back on yourself - you do want to be sure you know how to handle the pilot lights etc -"wild" pilots are no longer allowed, so the chance of an unlit pilot causing a safety issue are extremely remote today.

If you are not a licenced gas fitter and you do any line work, installation, etc, you are supposed to call for an inspection.

Last one I did (connected piping for gas BarBQ outside this summer) there was no charge for the inspection.

Reply to
clare

+1

It's a safety thing, not a scam to charge you for turning it off.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Call from a cell phone OUTSIDE or the neighbor's home. Phone line voltage *can* produce a spark in rare circumstances just by lifting the receiver.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It would have to be a very old phone that weighs a ton to have open mechanical contacts on the handset hook switch. I'd be more worried about static electric discharge from your hand to something like a metal door knob. I've seen some nice big sparks and I would often spray fabric softener on the carpets back in the old days when computer gear was more susceptible to static electricity discharge. Oh yea, be sure to flip the light switch on your way out the door. We must conserve energy. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

10-12 in crescent wrench does the job and has for over 50 years in our world.
Reply to
NotMe

Those, or pipe wrenches do the job nicely. The dorky gas tool is nice, for people who don't know about Crescent wrenches.

.

10-12 in crescent wrench does the job and has for over 50 years in our world.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some (old?) light switfches make sparks, don't they? I've heard of somone polyurethaning his wood floor and causing an explosion with the lightswitch.

Reply to
micky
[snip]

I know someone who lost a house because on one in 1989. It was an old gas stove.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Why the rant? You do not remember what you read 10 seconds ago? I'm confused. Why re-read everything?

Reply to
Thomas

I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench, how many can find it when they need it......

.
Reply to
trader4

A very few people put the wrench next to the gas meter. But, those folks usually have a crescent or pipe wrench.

The rest of folks can't find the special wrench.

.

I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench, how many can find it when they need it......

.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a cheap wrench tied to the pipe with a small-link chain right next to the valve. The chain is long enough for the wench to be used and big enough not to be easily removed.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

I'm so sorry you are confused. I will try to help alleviate that confusion.

The reason it is beneficial to not only see the relevant text that is being replied to but also who is being replied to as well is because once the original post, and possibly the first replies, have been read those messages will disappear from the message window, assuming you are using a news reader which you are not. Later, much longer than 10 seconds, when you retrieve new messages you see a message and you won't know who is being replied to or what they said without viewing old messages.

See above.

I think you and HomeGuy must be related.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You did realize that I was being fecesious{sic] about the light switch. ^_^

TDD

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas