Did you know this about The Gas Company?

Page 1 of 4
I dont know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern California, unless its an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?
I dont know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern California, unless its an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?
{{
Call your local gas company.
That said I don't know about California but all the states I've lived there was a gas cut off a the meter that the homeowner could shut off the gas (same with water and electric).
Disconnect is another matter.

How would they even know if you turned off the gas and then turned it back on? I is simply a valve before the meter.
If the meter reader happens to come and see that the valve is turned-off, he calls it in and you get a closing bill at the end of the month where you will have to pay $25.00 to re-start your bill/service.
If the meter reader happens to come and see that the valve is turned-off, he calls it in and you get a closing bill at the end of the month where you will have to pay $25.00 to re-start your bill/service.
Must be a local thing not the case where I've lived.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

and how are they to know it wasn't an emergency? I know in northern california most of the meters are remotely read, can't imagine what with the subsidies they got that gas companies in southern california aren't remotely read, so no problem with meter readers.
or if everything you say is true, you can just state that the meter reader was wrong...who are they going to believe?
and how are they to know it wasn't an emergency?
Im afraid I have a lot of trouble lying.
I know in northern california most of the meters are remotely read, can't imagine what with the subsidies they got that gas companies in southern california aren't remotely read, so no problem with meter readers.
No remote anything where I turned-off the gas.
"or if everything you say is true, you can just state that the meter reader was wrong...who are they going to believe?"
I dont have any trouble leaving out certain facts but its almost impossible for me to lie about anything. One of the reasons my spouse married me I guess.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm of the opinion that if you have to turn off the gas for any purpose, that amounts to an emergency

who provides your natural gas?

of course this all comes down to "why not call the gas company in the first place"?

Done right, they won't know. Done wrong, they will know because they have to send out a serviceman to light your pilots, bleed the lines, etc. Usually, these rules are to protect themselves from ignorant homeowners.
I've also known a few people to make gas connections without turning the gas off. It is low pressure so they just broke the connection and made a quick reconnection with a valve and piped the rest of the line from there.
Depending on local and state laws, you may have to have a licensed gas fitter do the work and have an inspection done afterwards.
I'm a licensed contractor and I didn't know about this law until today.
On Oct 8, 10:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Law <> gas company rules
Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), General Order 112-E, only SoCalGas is authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve
See page 10
http://www.socalgas.com/documents/safety/home_energy_guide.pdf
On Oct 9, 11:20am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I see where the gas company document says that. However, I pulled up the actual CPUC General Order 112-E, which they use as their basis:
http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/GENERAL_ORDER/126869.htm
It's not that long and little of it actually applies to residential gas systems. And I don't see anything in there that says what the gas company claims.
In article

Is it unheard of to put another valve on the house side of the meter? Seems like that would keep everyone happy. I put a valve just before the line enters the house, but that's about 300 yards from the meter. So, I can work on stuff inside, but if the line breaks (again) between the meter and the house, I'd have to go to the gas company owned valve.
This might be a good opportunity to sell a house gas valve installation to clients.
I've seen, and installed, gas valve with a turn handle. No wrench needed.
Good idea.
This might be a good opportunity to sell a house gas valve installation to clients.
On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:59:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just a minor rant.
It would be a lot easier to follow this thread if you wouldn't snip all of the relevant parts of the previous post.
Rant over.
On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:26:38 -0500, Gordon Shumway

True.
Rant over.

Why the rant? You do not remember what you read 10 seconds ago? I'm confused. Why re-read everything?

I'm so sorry you are confused. I will try to help alleviate that confusion.
The reason it is beneficial to not only see the relevant text that is being replied to but also who is being replied to as well is because once the original post, and possibly the first replies, have been read those messages will disappear from the message window, assuming you are using a news reader which you are not. Later, much longer than 10 seconds, when you retrieve new messages you see a message and you won't know who is being replied to or what they said without viewing old messages.

See above.
I think you and HomeGuy must be related.