Did they change treated lumber AGAIN?

So, if you find out that your kid has a toy which was later recalled due to high levels of lead, you let the kid keep the toy?
Yes or no.
Do you let the kid keep the toy?

If the kid is beyond the chewing stage, why not? Touching or being near it won't harm you. Scout badges were recalled because the yellow trim had too much lead. If a cub or boy scout is chewing his badges, there are other problems.
wrote in message

OK. The kid's still in the chewing stage. Do you let him keep the toy?

Probably not. That's a decision that I make as a critical thinking adult who can balance cost vs. benefit. I do not need a government acting on my behalf banning all uses of a useful substance just because some parent somewhere was incapable of making a similar judgement.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

That's a nice belief, but 54% of the country is known to be stupid. Do their kids deserve to be the victims of parental ignorance?

And that pretty much summarizes the paternalistic viewpoint of the modern Democrat party. Them darn citizens are too dumb for their own good, so we need to run things for them.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Joe, otoh, being a totally responsible parent would of course, not allow his kids to have toys on the presumption they _would_ contain lead. :)
Although in reality, I must presume that being such a stellar protector of the young he thought even farther ahead and has therefore ensured he doesn't have any in order to fully protect them from all of these inevitable hazards.

Until the recent spate of recalls, did you expect that modern toys would have lead paint on them?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/10/22/body.burden/index.html
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

And the papa says...
"I'm angry at my government for failing to regulate chemicals that are in mass production and in consumer products." Hammond says. "I don't think it should have to be up to me to worry about what's in my couch."
Sic semper personal responsibility :(
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote in message

Umm...we're supposed to know what's in a couch? Not buy couches?

It's kind of a funny problem.
We want kids not to burn to death, so we put fire retardants in their pajamas.
We want kids not to be cut by broken glass, so we make all their stuff out of plastic.
It seems like everything we do to protect kids from the dangers we know exposes them to dangers we don't know.
Cindy Hamilton

Sure. My kids don't chew on their toys. This lead paint thing on toys is getting blown way out of proportion.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

A start would be to build a rat cage out of old style PT 2x4s and test the rats for arsenic periodically. Next would be to do the same thing but in some manner so that the rats could contact the PT but not eat it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Let's stick with human children, since there's always someone who'll say "Yeah but rats are affected differently than people".
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

That's OK with me. Put kids in the cage.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

In the ground? Yes. In building materials? Yes. Ingested by humans? Depends on the level.
Before you get your knickers in a twist about arsenic, you should go after something much more dangerous:
THE INVISIBLE KILLER: Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and _kills_ uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.
DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE: * Is also known as hydric acid, and is a major component of acid rain. * contributes to the greenhouse effect. * may cause severe burns. * accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals. * may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes. * has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

zzzzzzzzzzz...........
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So that doesn't concern you but a bit of arsenic in PT wood does?
How do you feel about wall to wall carpet? Not only the outgassing of nasties but all the crud trapped therein...the fungi, spores, dead skin, mites. Doesn't your mind boggle at the thought of a rugrat snuffling along on a carpet and sucking in that stuff through his/her little nostrils? Probably chomping on it too?
Of course, lead and asbestos are long gone and smokers are now demons but what about all the noxious gasses spewed by the Detroit monsters? California (and other states) now turn oil paint lovers into potential criminals because of atmospheric pollution but they - and the populace in general - seem to have few worries about auto emissions. It would take an army of 3 pack a day smokers and a whole subdivision painted with oil paint to even *begin* spewing as much crud as a few cars. Yes, I know the government keeps tightning up on auto emissions but why don't they just make autos/trucks/etc illegal? After all, it would be "for the kids".
Kinda depends on whose ox is being gored, doesn't it?
Back to lead for a moment...lead paint is gone but unjacketed ammunition isn't so be sure your offspring don't chew on bullets.
--

dadiOH

today vehicle exhaust is often cleaner than the air intake.
there was a newspaper story in pittsburgh of some sick kids from arsenic poisioning, traced to their habit of playing under a large deck, ground was super contanminated.....