Did they change treated lumber AGAIN?

Page 4 of 6

There is middle ground between wholesale elimination & building swing sets or using it for deck boards.
Have I used CCA materials? Yes Was I careful? Yes Did I burn it? No Did I take every opportunity to caution about splinters & burning? Yes
Would I (did I) use it for deck boards or swing sets? No
We'll see if the switch away from CCA results in fatal structure failures from corrosion of improper fasteners.
Life is about risk & sensible risk assessment........ the latter seems in rather short supply, while hysteria appears to be wide spread.
Basic everyday lifestyle choices; diet, back yard pools & the automobile are way more dangerous than CCA ever was.
It's important to identify & address real risks not imagined ones.
cheers Bob

Then, you're smarter than about 54% of the population at large. Good.
for a gazillion years smokers said hey it didnt kill me therefore smoking is safe, blamimg lung cancer and other nasties on other things.........
today we know for a FACT that smoking KILLS, fact is big tobacco knew and covered it up for many years:(
Big tobacco did their own studies.
treated wood manufacturers did their own studies, its highly possible they proved the hazards.
now would they admit it??? heavens know that will just bring on lawsuits:(
better to change the formula and hope for the best!
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So the long term effects of the new formulation are known? Geez...quick.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

There was no forced change. The EPA did study after study, and did not find evidence to even put a warning (other than the one that existed) on PT lumber. The manufacturers voluntarily chose to change the formulation, not due to regulation, but due to the fear of lawsuits from idiots.
I have worked with CCA for over 30 years. I have been exposed to it for that amount of time in a manner that would cause far more than the minimal contact that a child would ever get, yet, I am fine. So are all of the other 400 or so carpenters that I know or have known personally. So where did you get your data again. How long do you think that I have to live?
Due to the fact that I was forced to be exposed to it, I have done extensive research on the subject and I can tell you that you are simply wrong. Unless you burn it, you have nothing to fear from the old CCA. And neither does anyone else.
Worry about lightning. Or your salt intake. It will be far more productive.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Succinctly put.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Robert Allison wrote:

He got his information from a pediatrician. The fact that pediatricians poll their young patients over gun handling by the parents is sufficient evidence to conclude pediatricians are loons and can safely be ignored in areas outside their experience. Inasmuch as no pediatrician anywhere has ever experienced a medical problem originating from CCA, I'd say their competence on this score is zero.
But it's worse. There are people who run their lives based on the statements of loons.

I asked you yesterday to list the various professions in YOUR family. No answer yet. Why are you ashamed to tell us?

Aye! There are places where the water supply contains more arsenic than you could get off the lumber and that amount meets government safety regs.
Harry K

That would be the same trial lawyers who scour medical literature looking for the next thing they can file class action lawsuits for?
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Draw your own conclusions.
I took a few minutes and found these links. Off the top, you'd think that there may be some relationship between pressure treaded wood and arsenic levels in children.
http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2004/7197/abstract.html
http://clir.buffalo.edu/nycap/htm/pdf/Arsenic_WNY.pdf
http://www.sptimes.com/News/031301/Citrus/Arsenic_levels_surpri.shtml
Then I found this. Did they have pressure treated wood 5000 years ago? http://www.pathology.vcu.edu/research/paleo/case2.html
http://www.gchd.us/Services/EnvironmentalHealth/ArsenicLevels.asp Arsenic is a common, naturally occurring element in the Earth's crust. Arsenic comes in two forms: organic and inorganic. Elevated levels of inorganic arsenic, the more harmful form to humans, have been found in the groundwater in some wells in Genesee County. Organic arsenic is not found in groundwater.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

And I told you your pediatrician is probably an idiot. An appeal to authority works only if the "authority" IS an authority. Pediatricans (in general) are more driven by emotion and political correctness than objective fact.
Bottom line: We reject your "expert." Come up with another.

Without data to back up your statements, they are now delusions.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So what? Increased Arsenic levels are not indicative of a health problem.

So you agree that increased Arsenic levels mean almost nothing.

The parents don't have to be involved that way. Test kids who've hung out on wood playsets vs kids who've played on metal playsets.
The reasons this kind of testing hasn't been done is that it would be a waste of money, not that that's ever bother the government and any researcher who published such findings would be laughed out of the profession.

And, you are professionally involved in this type of research....HOW?
dpb wrote:

Evidence is irrelevant to the true believer.

That works both ways. For instance, there are still a few who believe that agricultural chemicals do not leach into groundwater, not anywhere, not ever.

yeah people prefer to ignore many risks.
and about smoking..... it should be illegal around children and one day it will.
pure child abuse.
but back to the subject if it looks suspicious and its not 100% completely understood its best to err on side of caution.
like global warming, we honestly dont know the cause, or more likely causes but the risks of doing nothing are way too great.
you should always respect hazards you dont fully understand

That's logical, at least to normal people who weren't dropped on their heads as children.

No, it's emotional. It appears to the same people who think a theory is the same as a proven fact. It comes from not being able to think critically.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars