Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Page 3 of 5

The inside windshield product would be the Rain-X Anti-Fog treatment (3.5 oz or 7 oz) which is in a bottle and needs to poured onto a towel or cloth to apply to the inside of the windshield.
The outside windshield product would be the Rain-X Glass Treatment.
In my experience, both gave unsatisfactory results.
The Anti-Fog "worked", in a sense that the inside of the windshield did not fog up, but left a film that would give a very bad haze in full sunlight.
The Rain-X Glass Treatment only seemed to bead up the water with at most a light drizzle. For heavier rain, use of the wipers is still necessary and the wiper blades soon begin streaking the windshield rather than effectively removing all of the water.
I'm also finding the same issue with the Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive--wipers are beginning to streak and not fully wipe away all the water or washer fluid.
Now I just use the defogger function when the inside windshield begins to fog up, and I just use high quality wipers when it is necessary for me to use the windshield wipers.
For sure, these ideal laboratory-perfect clean windshield surface cleanliness conditions are not specifically mentioned anywhere on the bottles of those other two Rain-X products, and the Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive does not even list a clean windshield as a requirement before use.
"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote ................. > The Rain-X Glass Treatment only seemed to bead up the water with at most a

heaviest downpours. You obviously didn't follow the instructions ;-)

They don't sell enough lighter fluid anymore, so they had to discontinue the bottles.

I understand that in 6 US states, past elections have turned on the Rain-x versus the Anti-Rain-x forces. It's expected that this will determine about 31% of the vote, November 2008.
George wrote:

Glad you like it. The one time I tried it, I got a yellowish film all over the windshield that was pure hell when the sun was in front of the car. Really reduced my visibility under those conditions.
--
One phrase that explains 99% of all idiot driving:
"You can\'t block traffic if you\'re not in the way."
clifto wrote:

wash and wax my Mach-1, I'd wax the windshield too... you had to be sure to clean all of the excess off, but it served the same purpose.... just sayin'.....
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

ACtually there used to be a product called "glass wax" but I haven't seen it available for years.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

-- used to be a product called "glass wax"
Glass Wax was a glass cleaner that did not do the same thing that Rain- X does. Glass Wax was a thick pink liquid that dried white just like car wax. Once dried, you "polished" the glass with a rag to remove. It provided no "rain slides off without wipers" feature. It did do a good job of cleaning glass as well as a number of other surfaces.
It was also good for decorating your windows for the holidays. See a can here:
http://tinyurl.com/yserbg
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I know that it wasn't the same sort of product as Rain-X, but I wish I could find some because it did do a heck of a job cleaning up windshields. A friend used to have a can but it is long gone, and I haven't seen any new on the market.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote: ...

Don't know how similar it is to the old stuff, but Rain-X makes a product labeled as a glass wax. While looking for the MSDS to see what is in the aerosol, discovered there are some 20-30 products under the Rain-X brand...
I've never used any of them so have no opinion on their efficacy nor knowledge of what the product actually is, just noted your plaintive cry and had recently seen the listing... :)
Sure, one of the very best glass cleaners there is, is Acetone. Get it on your paint though, and you can kiss your paintjob bye bye. Same with Plastics. Mark
Slacker wrote:

Suggest you stop bashing Rain-X since you don't even know for sure if that is what is on your windshield. It is far more likely that you have some wax on your windshield, perhaps from a carwash. Plenty of us have used Rain-X for years and never had anything but good results.
Slacker wrote:

Real brilliant guys at Kragen!
Sounds more like you have dirty glass with some wax spotted on it.
You want to clean the glass and remove any crud on it, Go and buy some ammonia based glass cleaner. Apply it and wipe the glass down really good with it. Then use some crumpled newspaper to buff it dry. The glass will be about as clean as you can get. Replace the wiper blades as well.
Rain-X works very well if applied to CLEAN glass. It also has removal instructions on the bottle!
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

I got interested one time and looked up how Rain-X works. Of course, I didn't keep the web sites, but here's a summary of what I remember.
The organic chemicals bond lightly with the glass molecules, leaving one end of a branch sticking up, kind of like fur all over your windshield. The exposed branch does not like water. It's non-polar, and water's polar, for you chemistry geeks.
Proper application requires that there be NOTHING on the surface of the glass. I mean NOTHING. Not even AIR. Correct application requires a hard vacuum. Oxygen blocks proper bonding. When they put this stuff on at a factory, they use a vacuum chamber.
Since few of us can afford to put our car on the Space Shuttle just to get a windshield coating, we have to make do with cleaning the heck out of the glass chemically. That means you have to clean with a variety of chemicals to remove the variety of contaminants -- acids and bases to remove water deposits, organic solvents to remove oily stuff, detergents to remove the other solvents, etc. Do all this and enough of the Rain-X will bond to give you the effect you want. Don't do it and you'll get a splotchy, unsatisfactory result.
I cleaned my MINI Cooper windshield with Windex when it was brand new, then applied Rain-X. It worked great for the years I had the car. I never had to apply a second coat. (Gee, I miss my MINI, but it wouldn't haul my table saw to a job site.)
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

If you bought the car used it might have been repainted or in a bodyshop where it got overspray on the glass. I have used lacquer thinner and 000 steel wool to remove paint as it does a good job polishing the glass. I have used Rain-X for years and never seen a problem with it! Of course if you live in the rust belt God only knows what is on the glass.
Stormin harmony forever spebsqsa
Stormin,
harmony forever - which part? chorus? quartet?
Dan Bass OkChorale Mature Moments
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

I will add my 2. I have mixed feelings about Rain-X and it's competitors. The kid may have been right. Removing the stiff is a little tough, but it does come off and even if you do nothing it will slowly wear off.
Of course there are other things that it may be including some very find scratches on the windscreen. They will not come off without help.
You may have some luck with an auto glass shop. I will soon be looking for one to do some polishing as mine has a lot of fine scratches caused by me when I used a towel that had some fine grit on it and I did not notice it until after I had thoroughly cleaned the windscreen. Funny thing Rain-X did help hide the problem somewhat.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Check and see what's in your windshield washer reservoir.
Instead of the blue windshield washer solution, I use an orange washer solution that contains Rain-X.
The stuff will indeed make your windshield "foggy" when applied in certain weather conditions, and the sun will indeed make it hard to see. I find that when the windshield gets foggy in sunny conditions, I have to use the sprayers to keep the windshield wet so I can see. The wipers themselves will not clear the fog.
My wife and son stopped using it for this very reason. I, on the other hand, have always hated the constant flap flap flap of wipers and am willing to put up with the foggy streaks for the pleasure of driving 65...errr...I mean 55 MPH in the rain without wipers.

I've had that fogging problems with every solution I"ve ever used. I do now use the RainX stuff because it works well in really cold weather, unlike the blue crap. I had doubts when I first bought it (store was out of Prestone) but now I use it all winter and their green stuff in summer.