Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Page 2 of 5

Isn't that what's in acne medications? ;-)
John Weiss wrote:

Do you see any acne on my windshield? I thought not. Hah.
--
One phrase that explains 99% of all idiot driving:
"You can\'t block traffic if you\'re not in the way."

I have the same opinion. It was great when freshly applied, but was not good when it started to wear through. Then, it took a LOT of effort to get it completely off. I rubbed a lot with lacquer thinner! So I decided not to use it in the future.
Slacker wrote:

One of the people I work with, puts rain-x on their bald head. The stuff really works, because you can watch the water bead right up. I haven't noticed any damage to their head, so I doubt if it would do any damage to glass.
Many thanks

I have also been using RainX for many years. I tried the inside anti- fog stuff and didn't like it at all (smeary). I do not believe it has ANY silicone in it...it is more like a solvent. It allows you to see while driving in the rain without wipers...that is a great safety factor. (I own no interest or stocks in this product) ; )

I had believed it contained a siliconeglycol or similar, but apparently not. At any rate, I dont like it for my windshield.
Quaternary amines have long been used inside the windows to break the surface tension and allow droplets to flow together in a clear film rather than a fog. The composition cited earlier looks like an ester quat. Just from the formulation, I would not have suspected it would be persistent enough to last on the exterior of a windshield. Live and learn.
I have thought about trying it in my bathroom on the shower tiles. Maybe it would help them shed water, etc.
OK. I went to the local Kragen and all the guys at the counter said rain-x has this horrid problem very often. They get it all the time, they said.
They told me there are only two solutions. Keep putting rainx on all the time so the film never gets spotty. Or, remove the rainx with gunk or brake cleaner or other serious solvent.
One guy in the store who was listening sympathetically said that he wished they never invented the stuff, it's so horrid.
Since my windshield had already gone spotty on me, I went with their recommendation to gunk it off.
I bought the recommended brake cleaner and am letting it soak on the windshield as we speak. Hopefully the rain-x spots will dissolve off.
Do you know of any better solution to remove rain-x (the brake cleaner seemed to dry up pretty quickly)?
Slacker wrote:

Is Kragen some "we are experts on everything" big box chain?
Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.
You need to meticulously clean the windows before you apply it. I have vehicles parked outside and use it mainly for the winter. Frost/ice etc is much easier to remove.
The first time I used it I cleaned the windows with the popular blue water in the squirt bottle and got the patchy results mentioned. The next time I did a better job cleaning the windows and there were no patches. I have been doing it for at least 5 or 6 winters with good results.

Andy Rooney once got a sample of RainX and said "No product could do what it claimed"...he had to apologize on another 60 minutes broadcast.
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:47:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I can't find any reference to this "Andy Rooney" apologizing about "Rain-X" in the entire web.
The closest I could find was this very tough to read law paper which discusses Andy Rooney and Rain-X in the footnotes but nowhere else. http://law.fordham.edu/publications/articles/200flspub6663.pdf
Can someone cite a reference?

No Andy Rooney references, but I can say that RainX does work when first applied, at least. But the glass has gotta be clean (and this is the step most people apparently skip), you have to buff it out after applying, to remove the excess. Once when visiting my sister and BIL, as I was packing up for the long drive home, he was trying to be nice and insisted on doing my windshield. (a storm was brewing, etc...) Well, for my sister's sake, I let him do it, and to my surprise it has actually worked and held up pretty well. I had tried it several years before, and had the same experience others reported, of smears. Of course, this car spends most of its time parked in garage, so my experience may not be typical. (I drive the beater minivan around town, and only use the 'good' car for road trips.)
aem sends....

Yes.
Drive in a Florida rain storm that drowns a frog, so heavy one has to pull over and wait for the rain to stop. You will see the benefit.

IIRC, the first application requires two or three applications that are allowed to dry between coats. The window has to be clean - (try some coke-cola) to cut real grime.
Second application - clean the window as normal and re-apply the rain-x
-- Oren

Not for everyone, dude. Some like it, some hate it.
hls wrote:

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report problems are the source of those problems due to not following application directions properly.
For my Rain-X applications I clean the glass well first with decent glass cleaner. I find the Zep brand glass cleaner seems to be one of the best. Once the glass is clean and dry and also cooler and out of the direct sun I apply the Rain-X and buff well with one of the micro fiber cloths. I make a complete pass around to all the windows and then make a second pass paying extra attention to the final buffing with a second dry micro fiber cloth.
I never have any issues with streaks or spots and the Rain-X action lasts for a few months. I do prefer the spray bottle Rain-X over the old "lighter fluid bottle" type for ease of application.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

None of which have any relevance to the application process. And for additional reference, I've used Rain-X in CT and in TX and it works equally well in both climates. I've also driven Rain-Xed vehicles between CT and TX and the Rain-X has performed well in all the climates between the two. So again, if you found you had problems with Rain-X, I'd suggest trying it again, paying particular attention to the application process.
on 10/7/2007 9:18 AM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:

Some probably don't get the acid rain that is popular in the NE
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I agree, once the initial cleaning and applying is done (not easy)...subsequent application is easy.
on 10/7/2007 9:08 AM Pete C. said the following:

Rain-X now sells Windshield wiper fluid additive (mix with water), window cleaner additive (mix with to water), Winter de-icing washer fluid (full strength), and windshield wipers. I use 3 of the 4 fluids, besides the spray.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:20:14 -0400, willshak wrote:

Finally, the voice of wisdom! Rain-X even sells all-weather cargo bags & windshield wipers!
So, let's stop calling it "rain-x" and start calling it 'rain-x <product>'. Otherwise, we're all talking about something different. Let's start by listing the rain-x products of interest first. Then we can get to their ingredients and then to how they work.
Here are the rain-x brand products I found in a quick search * Rain-X Roof Top Cargo Bag $64.99 * Rain-X Weatherbeater Wiper Blades $8.99           * RainX Fast Wax $6.99 * RainX Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Gel $5.99      * Rain-X Wash & Wax with Carnuba Beads, 20 Ounce Bottle $6.24     * Rain-X Anti-Fog Class Cleaner Wipes (25 Ct) $4.99 * Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment (3.5 oz) $1.99 * Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment (7 oz) $4.99 * Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment Towelettes $1.99.      * Rain-X Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Gel (16 oz Bottle) $3.99      * Rain-X Bug & Tar Pro-Shield (16 oz Aerosol Can) $4.99 * Rain-X De-Icer Aerosol (15 oz) $3.99 * Rain-X Fast Wax (16 & 23 oz Trigger Spray) $5.99 * Rain-X Foaming Car Wash Concentrate (100 oz Bottle) $12.99
Now, someone tell me, WHICH rain-x product above are we talking about that streaks your windshield inside and outside and that which can't easily be removed but which apparently works if properly applied?