Did I just flood the wall behind my tub?

I was replacing the caulking in my bathtub and I removed caulking around the drain trip cover plate just below the faucet. I also loosened the plate it self so I could clean the tub behind it. I then screwed the plate back into place but did NOT caulk it. I then started to fill the bathtub up with water, got distracted, and accidentally filled the tub about half way up the cover plate. I turned off the water and could hear it draining. I know it was draining through cover plate because I had duct taped the actual drain closed.
My question is where did that water go? Did I just flood the wall behind my bathtub or does the space behind the cover plate lead down into the drain? Diagrams online seem to indicate that it goes into the drain, which is in line with the sound I heard, but I wanted to make sure.
Thanks, Dave

After doing a little more research, it looks like the plate is actually the overflow safety mechanism and is intended to drain water out of the tub in case you leave it running. I'm not sure why this one had been caulked since that would seem to negate its purpose, but I guess the point is that these do, in fact, lead to the drain. I won't replace the caulking around it.
Dave
headware wrote:

Here's an exploded view: http://www.plumbingproducts.com/wasteoverflowparts.html
Yes, it goes into the drain.
One note: Rubber gasket, Part #1, fits *behind* the tub and seals the tub to the overflow tube flange. Often, that rubber deteriorates and doesn't seal well. In that event, you can get leakage behind the tub any time water runs down the tub surface, such as when showering; it doesn't need to be a true overflow situation to do it.
The rubber can be replaced (if yours has gone bad) by working a new one in thru the opening.
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I looked and there does not appear to be any rubber gasket at all. I do have a Price Pfister so I'm not sure why there isn't one there. I looked at the other tub in my house and saw the same thing; no gasket. Is it possible my model doesn't use that part? It's likely an old tub (15-20 years). Not sure how it would keep a good seal if it didn't have one. Maybe I should order a couple.
Dave

The gasket should go between the outside of the tub and the overflow drain pipe. If there is none, it may leak, which could explain why the drain holes were caulked shut.

With the proper gasket in place, the OP can caulk around the plate. Look at the bottom of the plate for a weep slot .... do not caulk that shut or the tub will overflow.

Why would he want to?

The water went down the drain, as it is supposed to.
wrote in message

The water went down the drain, as it is supposed to.
?????

I appreciate all the advice. After further cleaning and inspection with a flashlight, it appears that the rubber gaskets are in place in both tubs after all. They were just covered in a layer of filth and slime so they weren't readily visible. Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the help.
Dave