Did I f-up?

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodeling project and I have a question regarding the taping & finishing of hardy backer board for my shower. After I put the hardy backer board up I applied fiberglass tape and regular joint compound to the seams. After doing this I read somewhere that you are supposed to use the same material on the seams that you are planning to use for your tiling (i.e. thinset with latex additive). Will there be a problem if I leave the regular joint compound on the seams and just apply the tile thinset (as I am tiling) directly over the joint compound? Or, should I sand down the regular joint compound and apply the thinset to the joints?
x071907 wrote:

Yes. If the drywall compound gets wet it will soften. Don't feel too bad though. I hired a drywall contractor who advertises himself as a "professional" ugh.
He used paper tape and dry wall mud on the Durock he installed around tubs, and showers. He screamed bloody murder when he discovered that the only way to get paid was to take it out and re-do it correctly.
RB
Or, should I sand down the regular

x071907 writes:

Yes. Scrub the last bit off with water and a stiff brush.