did I damage AVR (honda generator) ?

Page 1 of 3
generator is honda gx390, 6600w / surge 8000, northerntool pro series 8000, unit has total running hours under 30.
had it connected to load and suspect the ground post connection wire was not properly connected to post at other end, ie. bad ground connection may have caused it to turn off.
after running it on about 2000-2500w load for 30 minutes, lights flickered inside couple times and then shut off, there were no motors running or starting at the time, just couple inside lights, fridge, tv and radio, small a/c unit which uses only 1000w, nothing else was running.
when I ran to the generator, could detect a faint electric burn odor and now suspect I may have damaged the automatic voltage regulator.
it restarted fine (I did not reconnect to load) and I got 240/120 output voltage from the connection plug but did not want to put it back on load for fear of making things worse (?)
is the AVR easy to diagnose and replace? how sensitive are the hondas or generators in having the proper ground post connection, if that was the cause of the shut down?

First of all, it is apparently a Northerntool with a honda engine, not a honda generator. Right?
On the three generators I have owned the ground is not connected to anything, so the generator wouldn't much care about your ground connection. I believe that is standard on consumer generator; OSHA requires industrial generators to have the ground connected to the neutral. It should say what you have on both the generator and the owners manual. I can't see how a bad ground would affect you in either instance unless you have a device that sends current to the ground rather then to the neutral; which would be unusual.
And finally I read through the owner's manual. It doesn't say if the ground is bonded, nor does it mention having AVR. Are you sure it even has it? If the fridge and the A/C came on at the same time, that could easily have caused it to stall. Good luck.
Wade Lippman wrote:

right, northerntool pro 8000 with honda gx390

you may be thinking of a conventional ac which this is not (inverter system with variable speed everything, never exceeds 300 watts at startup, 3 amps)
oddly enough, when I've run it the 1st two weeks since new, ac and fridge have repeatedly cycled and since ac is an inverter, it never causes a surge unlike conventional systems, max amps well below 20 with all and generator rated above 30 amps
so everything that was running has stayed running previously (over 20 hours in one continous run) and nothing of the sort occurred.

How did you measure surge, with a digital meter that records the peak?, ive seen new friges that use 100w pull 700w surge, and 300w surge for AC sounds way to low. But its not honda so who knows who made what as far as quality goes. Was the load balanced with a transfer panel, how did you hook it up.
ransley wrote:

the inverter ac definitely runs as I described and is rated 790w max and 7 amps as it starts off (yes, compressor is inverter controlled also and fully variable speed, not a two or three speed) very slowly and almost never draws more than 450w and 5 amps
fridge is fairly new but even granting that it may pull 700w, shouldn't a honda gx390 engine rated at 8000 watts, continuous 6600 watts easily handle this? it certainly has in the first 20 hours of it's operation and it didn't even speed struggle when things cycled on and off.
I also know the full load based on power company having connected a data logger when running under utility power and we tested each circuit separately and multiple circuits simultaneously. The logger recorded spikes just as they occurred within thousands of a second fraction so am very confident of the total power draw of everything that is running when I connect generator.

Unless you confirm the logger is designed for recording a spike you might use a good handheld meter to verify it
Mark wrote:

Hmmm, Inverter running off AC? Conventionally inverter runs off DC for AC device.
Tony Hwang wrote:

the ac is a self-contained inverter system, built that way by japanese manufacturer. when it starts, you can not hear any sound due to the superslow speed of compressor which takes several minutes to reach running speed and it constantly varies it according to sensors in the indoor blower computer board. even when running at full speed it remains silent.
the inverter converts AC to DC and back to AC, thus apparently producing a best case sine wave (what I've read from the manufacturer white papers)
Wade Lippman wrote:

as previously replied, you are correct, northstar 8000 PPG with honda GX390, starter motor and ignition key included.
am not familiar with how much of a distinguishing feature or how much it matters as to who puts a label on the outside of the unit, so allow me to ask :
how does a honda GX390 differ from one label to another? they appear to all have the same 13hp, 6600w-8000w (max) power, 30amp
mine is this one http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/165914.pdf

GX390 is the model number of the engine, not the entire generator. Sombody (probably somebody in China) mated that Honda engine to a sombody's generator and added the frame and other parts to make the entire package. You do not have a Honda generator unit, you have an off-brand generator that happens to sport a common Honda industrial engine.
That is not necessarily a bad thing, my pressure cleaner (bought at HD) is the same deal and seems to be just fine.
Vaughn
Vaughn Simon wrote:

I'll second that- my lawn mower is an off-brand 'Powered by Honda', but it is not a Honda lawnmower. A genuine Honda lawnmower would have cost $700, this one cost $325 or so. Engine has held up great with spotty maintenance and regular abuse. Since there isn't a whole lot else to break on a lawnmower, I figured I would take the risk and save some money.
-- aem sends...

Honda is a good motor, but until recently they only made a commercial unit good for 2-4000 hrs. The GX might be the new homeowner grade, good for maybe 300-800 hours.
ransley wrote:

the original poster referenced model northstar as sold by notherntool is selling for around 1500 bucks, thought the homeowner grade models were less
Honda is a good motor, but until recently they only made a commercial unit good for 2-4000 hrs. The GX might be the new homeowner grade, good for maybe 300-800 hours.
I've seen some GX engines used commercially with a lot of hours on them. My understanding is that they were rated for about 3500 hours. There are at least three oversize pistons available for the GX and once you bore it out too much you can get a new cylinder or cylinder head and start over. There is also at least one undersized piston rod available.
OTOH the GC series by Honda is an overhead cam affair and is pretty much designed to be thrown away when it wears out. They do, however, seem to last a long time.
I too have a piece of equipment (generator) with a Honda engine. Honda engines are good and all but they have their problems too. In any case the generator head ought to outlast several engines.

GX IS the commercial grade. There is a more junior series of engines, but they're called something other than GX.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Y'all got me curious enough to dig out the manuals for my 'power by Honda' MTD push mower. The engine is a GCV190.
GoogleGoogleGoogle
It does appear to be their 'residential' grade, not the commercial one. But it is shown as being the same one used as in their own expen$ive Honda-branded mowers. At 3 hours per mowing cycle, and 20? mowings per year, it already has at least 180 hours on it. It damn well better last more than 300 hours without a major rebuild. No signs of smoking or hard starting so far, knock on sheet metal.
-- aem sends...

This is the "best" description of the two series of engines I can find
http://www.perr.com/honda.html
One's tougher, one's quieter? who knows.

That's a good description but it still leaves me wondering how an engine gets to be called GX instead of GC. They are also saying that there is a 3 HP GX100 that is included in the GX series and that it has an overhead cam and uniblock construction which fits into the GC definition but not the GX..

to all

?Sombody
generator
do not have

to sport a

at HD) is

but
money.
but
That's not even broken in yet ;-) I've had a Honda GC engine last for about 12,000 hours with regular oil changes and a few valve adjustments etc. Another one lasted about 7200 hours. These were both on eu2000 generators with Eco Throttle so they were seldom running at full RPM.
3 hours per mowing cycle? That's a LOT of grass. I think most people probably run their mowers only 15-20 minutes per week and maybe 25 weeks a year. At that rate the cheapest B&S rated for only 300 hours could last well over 30 years.
For the record, Honda told me that the engine for the eu2000 is a GX100. The GX engines are usually overhead valve types with pushrods. The GC engines are overhead cam types with a timing belt and cam. The eu2000 engine has "GCxxxxxxx" stamped on the side and has a drive belt and cam so I don't see how they can say it's a GX.

I read about it, its a different design with internal belt, knowing Honda its good for a long long time.