Diatomaceous earth versus Cellulose for pool filter

Has anyone used the Cellulose replacement for Diatomaceous earth in their pool filter? Local pool store has bags of the stuff. Very light, supposedly cheaper and biodegradable.

Diatomaceous earth is ground limestone (calcium carbonate.) Other filters use sand (silicates). Many other materials are suitable for filtering pool water.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

It's actually not limestone at all. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth>
I first read about Diatomaceous Earth in Hatcher's Notebook, where author Julian Hatcher details how it was used as the stabilizing base for the nitroglycerin in dynamite.
--
Tegger

The stuff is like talcum powder, very fine and comes very dry. It dries out insects.
Greg

I've seen the bags of cellulose that are an alternative to DE, but never tried it. One big problem is that at least here at the stores I've seen it at in NJ it's priced at a significant premium to DE. I also don't get the "it's biodegradable" part being an advantage. I just backwash the DE out onto the lawn and it disperses and disappears. DE is actually used in some cases as a soil ammendment.
In short, DE works, is cheaper, is what the DE filter specs call for, etc. About the only reason I can think of to try it is that with DE I get a little bit of it that gets through the filter somehow and after a few days becomes noticeable on the white steps. That might also be because the filter is now 5+ years old and due for replacement soon. But I wondered if the cellulose would be better in that regard.
On Thu, 12 May 2011 06:31:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You've probably got a hole worn thru one or more of your filter grid fabric. Mine went over 15 years before holes started wearing thru. The replacements don't seem to last nearly as long, maybe 5 years. The fabric is pretty much the only thing that can wear out other then the plastic supports breaking.