diagnosis of bathroom ceiling leak

Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below. We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak. The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the tub. I hope he is right.
cycjec wrote the following:

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

or the weight of standing in the tub causing the leak.
if caulk does not fix it tear down the cieling and take a look

Is the upstairs bathroom used regularly? If so the caulk is a possibility.

Yes. But the leak doesn't seem to correlate with usage. It happens at odd times.
I think everyone is right who said "take the ceiling" down.

Yep. I had that problem in my previous house. I couldn't find the leak until one day I decided to look (I had the ceiling torn out already) when SWMBO was taking a shower.

willshak wrote:

Or, from where the shower faucet(s) go through the wall if not caulked well. Or, from the tub overflow, if that connection is loose.
cycjec wrote:

Hi, Did you use coloring agent when checking?

the best way is tear down the already damaged cieling, it may uncover more than one issue........

An excellent idea.

When you check for leaks in a shower or tub you have to duplicate the usage pattern...
Just running the water won't tell you if the leak is coming from there...
~~ Evan
dont mess with it..remove ceiling and check or replace everything. I had an 1-1/4 copper tubing disintegrate from age, repaired that then 1 year later another drain flooded...final outcome.. replaced everything under bathroom floor, before installing a new ceiling....
On 9/23/2011 1:59 AM, cycjec wrote:

The plumbing here has had several half hearted repairs by the previous landlord. [One of these involved wrapping a pipe in blue goo; I demurred and was told to mind my own business]
Thanks to all who replied.