diagnosis of bathroom ceiling leak

Water was leaking from upstairs bathroom into the one below. We ran the shower/tub water, the sink, the toilet. No leak. The plumber thinks it is because of defective caulk in the tub. I hope he is right.

Reply to
cycjec

cycjec wrote the following:

It can also be from the plumbing in the wall.

Reply to
willshak

or the weight of standing in the tub causing the leak.

if caulk does not fix it tear down the cieling and take a look

Reply to
bob haller

Is the upstairs bathroom used regularly? If so the caulk is a possibility.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yep. I had that problem in my previous house. I couldn't find the leak until one day I decided to look (I had the ceiling torn out already) when SWMBO was taking a shower.

Reply to
krw

Or, from where the shower faucet(s) go through the wall if not caulked well. Or, from the tub overflow, if that connection is loose.

Reply to
RogerT

Hi, Did you use coloring agent when checking?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

the best way is tear down the already damaged cieling, it may uncover more than one issue........

Reply to
bob haller

Reply to
jimmy

Yes. But the leak doesn't seem to correlate with usage. It happens at odd times.

I think everyone is right who said "take the ceiling" down.

Reply to
cycjec

An excellent idea.

Reply to
cycjec

The plumbing here has had several half hearted repairs by the previous landlord. [One of these involved wrapping a pipe in blue goo; I demurred and was told to mind my own business]

Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
cycjec

When you check for leaks in a shower or tub you have to duplicate the usage pattern...

Just running the water won't tell you if the leak is coming from there...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan