DHS seizes Land Rover over EPA regulations

Page 1 of 2
... forty (40) vehicles across America.
<https://tinyurl.com/levbkpg Somebody - make it stop!

here, for the "enough with the videos already!" crowd:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/1/feds-raid-sc-home-to-seize-land-rover-in-epa-emiss/

EPA has not built up their armory yet. Yet.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Well , if you did a little more digging , these vehicles were illegally imported - they don't meet safety or emission standards - and the owners knew or should have known the status . Seems to be a status symbol among a certain demographic . One article explained the reason for the mingling of forces but I was just skimming and didn't focus on that aspect . It's apparently very profitable , these things are dirt cheap in some places and get up to 7 figures here ...
--
Snag

On 8/1/2014 6:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I'd guess they want to make a point. Forty vehicles many years later is not a big score for emissions, but could be for political goals.

Seen the documentary, A Snowmobile For George? Howzabout those Clean Air Act pollution laws the entire fracking industry and coal companies are exempt from? Who knows why the DHS spent thousand to confiscate a few 30 yr old cars. This country is turning to crap.
nb

What if I wear a beaver costume? ;)
nb
On 8/1/2014 8:18 PM, notbob wrote:

miles away by Fish and Wildlife. With gaudy metal tag in your ear lobe.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

LOL! I should have known better than to believe a story on FoxNews. Lesson learned...again!
Joe wrote:

I very rarely watch Fox or Sun news.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Dig some more , Ed , there's supposedly a lot more than 40 . These are just the most recent seizures . Though it could be for political gain , the original story I saw did come from Fox News ... aren't they reputed to be a Republican mouthpiece ? AFAIK the only thing that can be believed on TV news is the weather prediction . Sometimes .
--
Snag

Bob wrote:

They did the exact same thing every TV news program in the country does , they showed the facts that supported their bias . You didn't actually expect a well thought out and unbiased report did you ? As I said above , the only thing on TV news that can be believed is the weather forecast . Sometimes .
--
Snag

Odd how they can worry about a few Land Rovers and not about the millions of illeagls in the country.
On 08/01/2014 10:39 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Land Rovers are easier to catch, they don't instinctively run from a badge.

influential" although a few are definitely not impoverished. The planes owned by the "wealthy influential" generally burn prodigious amounts of JP4 or Kerosene, not 100LL

When the facts come out you will likely find it was more over customs and importation issues than EPA issues. The border authorities (and DHS) have almost unlimitted powers of seizure where importation is fraudulent. Altered VIN numbers are a SERIOUS criminal offense. Importing a vehicle on the basis of a fraudulent claim is a criminal offense, and anything fraudulently imported is subject to summary seizure. They are quite likely seizing the units on a "sealed warrant" as evidence against the importer who fraudulently imported the vehicles, and the current owners' only recource would be a civil suit against the importer/seller.
On Saturday, August 2, 2014 12:30:04 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I guess it's a big state secret too, that it requires it to be done secretly. Don't tell the current owner a damn thing. And of course, no chance that it's going to quickly get back to whoever actually imported the cars anyway when this owner starts asking previous owners WTF is going on, it's all over the media, etc. And I guess it depends on what you mean by serious offense.
I don't see an illegally imported vehicle being more serious than an illegal alien who commits a crime, goes to prison, and then is released instead of being deported. The govt is letting them go, so maybe they should lay off the cars too? And regardless of how serious it is, why in the hell would they sends out a whole platoon to take a car from the fourth owner? They almost certainly aren't involved in the criminal act, and the act itself isn't a violent crime. What a waste of time and money.
On 08/02/2014 12:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, the news bureaus that actually check their facts before reporting state that it is an illegal import issue.
The OP should have checked his facts as well. ;-)
FWIW, CBS got it right.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/26075071/woman-has-questions-after-agents-seize-land-rovers

Like Al Gore.

I think this is another example of Obama telling the British they just are not important to the US anymore. Like returning the bust of Winston Churchill and giving a few embarrassing trinkets as gifts.