Dewalt cordless clutch useless?

I just got my model 925 cordless hammer drill back from the shop the second time and the clutch still doesn't do anything. The guy said it really doesn't kick in except in high gear. Porter Cable works well enough in low gear and so does Hitachi and Milwaukee. What gives with the Dewalts? Is the repair guy correct? If so, why bother with a clutch at all? When I need the clutch I also need low speed, not high speed, such as deck screws and light fixtures and such. Do I really need to buy another drill just to be able to use a clutch?
Mike D.

If you mean the torque setting for driving screws so it only tightens so far it should work at any speed contact dewalt instead.

I emailed them 2 days ago and they have not replied. I am off again tomorrow and will attempt to call them on the phone.

Response was that it only works in 2nd and 3rd gear and that low speed is for torque and doesn't need a clutch. Sorry, but this piece if junk will strip out sheet metal screws , drive deck screws through the boards, strip out outlet and switch mounting screws, etc., without a properly working clutch. I am past the 90 day return period with only about 2 weeks of use with it. The rest of the time it was in the shop trying to get the useless clutch to actually work! If I could get my money back I would immediately go out and buy the Milwaukee kit! Their clutch works!

Clutch should work at any speed, never had one just work on high. With that amount of torque you need a clutch that work on all speeds. Contact you local Dewalt rep. or call/email the factory about this. Repair guy pulling you leg or the 925 a poor design.

Mine works
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

My experience with Dewalt is completely negative. First, I has a 9.6V model cordless. The gears stripped out of the tranny on that one. I bought a spendy 14.4V XRP Cordless 1/2" drill to replace it. It does the same thing as yours. The clutch only works right in second or third gear. As if that wasn't bad enough, I think the brushes are going out on it. It belches out smoke when you first use it, and continues to fan out a burnt smell during use. The smoke started right after the warranty ran out, of course.
I also have a 12" Dewalt sliding compound miter saw. It is overweight, overpriced, and underpowered.
I'm a 3 for 3 loser with Dewalt products, and everyone knows their stuff ain't cheap.
I will never buy Dewalt again, no matter how much they pay Mike Holmes to use their tools on his TV show.

I went with Dewalt only because of the rotary cutout tool. RotoZip is powerful, but the switch is NOT sealed and it goes out fast. The cordless Dewalt has enough juice to do 3-4 rooms on one charge and is nice when working on scaffolding. If it weren't for this tool I would have gone Milwaukee as Porter Cable is now owned by Dewalt and are expected to destroy the brand.
Mike D.

It is a crap shoot. I have had excellent luck with DeWalt, though my new 12v drill is harder to change gears in than it ought to be.
Who is Mike Holmes?

Look here:
http://www.holmesonhomes.com/
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:49:00 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

Did you fix the brushes and/or emery cloth the armature?

My 12" non-slider cost $500. four or five years ago. I've made that back numerous times with the saw.
My saw is mounted on RIDGIDs Miter Saw Utility Vehicle gives you the maximum mileage from your miter saw.
I never carry my saw, but roll it around.
http://www.ridgid.com/tools/AC9940-MSUV/index.htm

-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

My 10 yr old DW 705 12" mitersaw (no slide)cost $ 299.
I ve built a good part of 2 homes with it and its still running great. They re still 299 and the updated model is the DW 715

Odd.I see so many professionals using them. That makes me wonder if you are a tool abuser,like some people I used to work with,and you just blame it on the tool. They didn't realize they were abusers,either.I ended up having to keep my own tools in order to have working tools;anything they used quickly became garbage. (if you could find them,because they rarely put things back where they belonged.)
Please do not consider this a personal attack,its not meant to be.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No offense taken. :-) You'd think they'd be good, because you're correct, you do see a lot of professionals use them. As for my 9.6V drill, well, it was a cheaper Dewalt model. That's why I bought the 14.4V XRP model. It was suppose to be a professional quality tool, metal gears in the transmission, yada, yada. I built a garage and a deck using it, (extensive use on the deck) but I can't see that as a lot of use. I thought that's what those tools were made for. Maybe it was bad luck? I do not consider myself a tools abuser, although the tools abuse my pocketbook once in awhile. :-)
As for the 12" slider saw, it works oooook, but I'm just not super-impressed with it relative to what it cost. I thought the 12" saw would be bee's knees, but no dice. I'm not getting rid of my old 10" miter saw, because sometimes it's easier and faster to use it instead of the slider.

Have you check the brushes? If I have a good parts diagram, I would take apart the clutch and check it out - maybe a little grease or maybe a part replacement.

New blade does wonders. If its really under powered, try a thin kerf rip blade.

Maybe certain people don't have luck with certain brand of tools - mine is Craftsman power tools with the exception of the air compressor. But if you buy DeWalt at twice the price of a Craftsman, you expect reliability and more.
Good thing about DeWalt - my experience is the 12.5" wood planer anyway - is you could buy parts at a very reasonable price years after the tool was discontinued.

I don't know about the 14V model, but my drill needs a special tool to remove the chuck to get at the clutch.